Wood Burner & Bitumen Roof Sheets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm considering installing a small wood burner in my block shed. the roof consists of corrugated bitumen sheets, insulated and lined inside with plywood. My question is will this roof cope with a flue from a wood burning stove. I've assumed that he heat of the flue, may be a problem for both the plywood, and the bitumen sheets. has anyone got any experience of this or any ideas how to solve this?

One option wold be to take the flue out of the wall and up the outside of the building, but I don't really want to have a hot Flue on the outside of my shed wall.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
G.

Sponsored Links
I have this arrangement in my shed. A hole was cut in the roof substantially larger then the flue (2" clearance all round?). A large Ali plate with a cone welded on it was screwed to the top of the roofing felt and the flue passed through the cone and clamped to it. I don't like the wood burner, its red hot and 5m away on the other side of the shed its still freezing*. The shed has 4" of glass fibre insulation all round. It takes a couple of hours for the shed to get to a reasonable temperature. It also needs topping up every 20 minutes or re-started.
The big problem with the Ali plate is that it gets hottish so expands and the fixings are too tight so it buckles. To do it properly the fixing holes should be 10mm diam with big washers then your 4mm screws along with a handful of silicone goo to seal it. Also it should be built-in, i.e.the bottom edge should overlap the felt and the felt overlap the plate at the top edge.
Best of luck! I am thinking of getting rid of mine and just pay for the electricity as and when. Decision time is when the roof needs re-felting (next Friday ? :) )
Frank
* I installed a big fan to blow the heat away from the flue/fire it helps a bit but its noisey.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back