Wood burning stove - Part J

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a two part query relating to stove fitting, the other part is in the electrical section.

I already have a stove installed in the living room and it discharges through a stainless chimney liner, all the register plate is fitted and certified etc

The whole room is looking very tired, and so the fireplace/hearth/mantelpiece/stove is going to be re-done at the same time. I intend to replace the mantelpiece (currently a steel, stone and cement Heath Robinson affair) with something either timber, or concrete but timber effect. Also, I'll have the inset of the "fire place" illuminated with LED strips of spots then re-fit the stove back in the inset and to the register plate.

There's a number of issues I've identified and I'm sure I'm not the first to need to look in to it.

Part J regs and the BCO - do I need to re-seek approval for the stove/chimney given it's already in place? If Yes, do I notify in advance just as if I was having an extension done?

Part J regs - distance from combustibles. I'll have the cheeks/back of the fireplace wet plastered so there are no combustibles (plasterboard or studwork) anywhere near the stove, and I think any other combustibles should be 3x diameter of the flue away from it. No problem. Other than this piece of timber I was thinking of fitting as a substitute mantle.. The stove doesn't get regular use but that doesn't mean I want to be fitting timber where it's likely to char or ignite. Using timber here would give more options with regard to hiding signal cables. I've learned from a previous post that I cannot embed trucking horizontally into the chimney breast.

Wooden-Mantel-Wood-Burning-Stove.jpg

Here's a library image of what I'd like to achieve

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
I usually install a concrete lintel and face it with an oak beam to get the result in the photo.

Wessex101.

A sound approach, and given there's already a concrete lintel there then this is promising. Do you take any measures to protect the faced oak beam from the direct heat from the top of the stove? I measure the top of my stove to the bottom of the register plate (which is in contact with the lintel) as 11".

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
As long as there is at least 100mm thick walls to the chimney a mantel shelf can be fixed directly to the chimney breast. If you read the note in Part J 2.18.c page 34 accompanying Bernard's diagram, skirting board, dado rail etc. and mantle-shelf are OK.

A friend had a woodburner installed a while ago (by a "qualified fitter") with a full depth structural oak beam spaced only about 25mm from the black enamel flue pipe. The oak beam was burning nicely with the heat from the flue pipe that close. If you manage to char a timber mantle with 11" separation from the appliance I would suggest you've got a thermonuclear device and not a woodburner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back