wood engineered flooring in the click system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to lay a floating wooden floor in my lounge and passage way.

I have seen some oak wood engineered flooring (around 15mm thick with 4mm oak veneer) at B&Q that looks pretty nice. It's availiable in the click system (like laminate flooring). Since using this stuff would mean that I don't need to glue boards together (as with tongue and groove) I think it should be easier for a novice like myself.

However, speaking to a professional at my local flooring store, he said that the click sytem is probably more difficult to install because you have to click the board into the long and short edge which is not always easy. In addition, he mentioned that the seal formed at the edge is not as watertight as glued T&G boards and that water can sometines penetrate between the gap and cause the join to open up.

Does anyone have experience of using the click system with these types of boards? Is it easier or more difficult to install for a novice? Does the advice that I got sound reasonable or was he simply trying to sell me some traditional T&G flooring? The thing I like about the click system is that you immediatly know (in theory) that the boards are in the correct position (it would click together otherwise). I must admit, using glue makes me a bit nervous because if I make a mistake (ie, some of the boards are not in line) it's more difficuly and messy to correct.

thanks
sanjay

Sponsored Links
Hi Sanjay

Your professional at your local flooring store is spot-on!

With the T&G glue-system you will know straight away also if the boards aren't fitted correctly, a gap between the joints will appear. The proper PVAC woodglue will allow you time enough to correct that.

BTW, why don't you buy some proper wood flooring from your local flooring store, they (like most professionals) are always more than willing to advice you on installation and other questions you have. B&Q and the likes don't know ziltch, but if you don't follow the instructions they supply with the products, your guarantee (manufacturers guarantee that is) goes straight out of the window!

Sorry to rand, but that's our (professional) opinion I'm afraid ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back