Wood Rot. Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
[//www.diynot.com/network/jaykart/albums/]

I've been doing some work to ventilate my loft space due to excessive condenstation during the winter and its obvious that some of the timber frame members have developed some sort of rot due to damp.

I was wondering what type of rot this is and what is the best way of:-

A - stopping it spreading. Is there a product I can use to treat the surrounding timbers?
B - treating the damaged timbers?

I have had a scrape and I can chisel back to solid wood after about 35mm - would it be feasible to cut out the soft / rotten wood and replace?

Sorry for all the questions, any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
looks like wet rot.you must stop where the moisture is coming in,make sure your eaves are not blocked,then you could treat with a wet rot treatment something like cupronal etc

Thanks gregers,

Having done a bit more research I think I've settled on wet rot also - thanks for the confirmation.

I've sorted out the source of moisture (condensation) so now need to sort out the damage.
I've looked into some boron based treatments etc but what do I do with the softened / damaged wood? Is there some sort of treatment or do I cut out and replace?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
General advice, is to eliminate source of moisture (as you have), and promote rapid drying during remedial work, though most people don’t bother with this part, but just sticking a few fans up there will help move the air a little more.

Rotted wood should be removed, and replacement timber spliced in where necessary, replacement timber should be treated.

Only treat timbers likely to remain damp for a period after remedial work, there is little point in treating other sound dry timber, and it can disguise continuing decay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back