Wooden back door upgrade: metal, composite or..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have, what I think is a relatively insecure back door we want to upgrade, as it's in a dark area in the winter, down a side passage. It's currently a Howdens hardwood door with a large thin double glazed unit (over half the door) in a hardwood frame with 5-lever mortice and a top and bottom rack bolts.
(I think it may be this one: https://www.howdens.com/doors-joine...ors/external-hardwood-doors/h2xg-glazed-door/)

It's inward opening at present, which I assumed is most secure but some metal door companies say outward opening it more secure.

Composite, metal or what would you all recommend for a top security door? Ideally want to have a small glass panel just to let a bit of light in (but happy if it's just a small spy view panel)? Definitely don't want uPVC.

I've been looking at RockDoor (www.rockdoor.com) and composites from various websites, plus metal doors from www.ajsteeldoors.co.uk

(We have Kloeber bi-folds in our kitchen, and these are beautiful, but their entrance doors are too way too expensive for a low use back door.)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back