wooden floor and staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just sanded our staircase, doors/architraves and wooden panels on the walls opposite the balustrade and found out that.
1) The newel posts are made of red (canadian?) pine.
2) The panels on the walls of the staircase are red (canadian pine)
3) The handrail is made of oak
4) The door/architraves are light pine.

Also, we have a hardwood (mahogany?) floor (herringbone pattern) which needs to be re-varnished as it is worn-out in some ares. and we need to install wooden spindles in the balustrade.

Any chance we will be able to find a varnish to match all those type of wood? and which one would be the best choice?

Spindles and handrails are sold in different wood, from cheap pine (which seem to be the best seller) to expensive oak (which looks nice, but which does not seem to be hugely popular. How can I orient myself? (apart from going around and looking at other people staircases and ask what they are about...

Sponsored Links
I would maybe accept that they are going to be different and not try to make them match do both sets of pine with one stain and then do the handrail darker.

Agree.
A mix of timber types can be really attractive. If you try and bring the whole lot together with dye or something, it could all end up looking like your bank manager's office :LOL:

i personaly i like contrast

keep in mind if its pine it will darken down to antique pine colour with time
if you paint with oil based varnish it will tend to yellow slightly with time

accrylic will not yellow with time but will raise the grain slightly [being waterbased]

Sponsored Links
Acchillo said:
We have just sanded our staircase, doors/architraves and wooden panels on the walls opposite the balustrade and found out that.
1) The newel posts are made of red (canadian?) pine.
2) The panels on the walls of the staircase are red (canadian pine)
3) The handrail is made of oak
4) The door/architraves are light pine.

Also, we have a hardwood (mahogany?) floor (herringbone pattern) which needs to be re-varnished as it is worn-out in some ares. and we need to install wooden spindles in the balustrade.

Any chance we will be able to find a varnish to match all those type of wood? and which one would be the best choice?

Spindles and handrails are sold in different wood, from cheap pine (which seem to be the best seller) to expensive oak (which looks nice, but which does not seem to be hugely popular. How can I orient myself? (apart from going around and looking at other people staircases and ask what they are about...

Yeah, lucky you, revel in the different woods, don't stifle them

Consistent answers from the experts! thanks!!

Will do a bit more sanding to take the wood down and then start trying to varnish bits of it to see how it looks like.

Any suggestion on varnish to use?

Anyone of you does it professionally and wants to help? (Location: north of London.

email address removed these can be shown in your profile

I would oil them personally, tung oil seems to be very popular, I've used danish oil, and it think it looks great.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back