Wooden Garage on concrete slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I tried posting this in the garden forum but got no answer, so i thought I'd try reposting it here.

I've got a new wooden garage/workshop laid flat onto a concrete slab from an older prefab garage (see older post of mine). with the recent wet weather it has become abundantly obvious that water is seeping in under the edge in several places.

I've tried building a small concrete lip to deflect standing water and rainfall but this has had little to no effect. Does the board have any suggestions to seal the unit, I had a number of ideas and would welcome clarification.

1. Smear roof sealant (or similar) all the way around the outside.

2. Lift the garage up (easily doable with crowbars, it's only pine) and fill underneath with exterior silicon (from caulking gun or similar).

3. make a big lip with concrete (several inches).

all suggestions gratefully received.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Use lead or similar to make a flashing that can be lipped under the garage weathering material (shiplap etc), over the plinth and down the front.

Hi noseall,

that's not going to work unfortunately, i could only do that on the left side.

Both the front and back are level for several feet out from the ends of the garage, and the right hand side has a boundry wall 9 inches (roughly) from the edge of the garage. It's this side that is building up most of the standing water, as the concrete is level, but not smooth, so large puddles are left standing.

thank you for the suggestion though :)

I have a simular probelem (afaik from you post) with a tin garage and was going to solve it by laying a coarse of bricks round just inside the wall, but will be interested in what others say.

If you can lift the whole shed up 6inchs (2inches at a time going round the edge, say, dont know how big it is) I would be very tempted to lay a course of engineering bricks for the shed to sit on.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
If the slab is larger than the shed (As opposed to being the same size), then lifting it up bit by bit until you can lay a course of blues or similar frost resistant brick would be a good idea. The timber sitting on the slab adjacent pooling water is simply going to rot. Once the bricks are in place you lower the shecd onto the bricks, remove supports and pop in the bricks where the supports were. Edit: Which is just what dhutch was saying!

a good idea, but then i won't be able to get the car in over the lip (it's currently only a piece of CLS). Adding a course of bricks would be quite a climb, even if i built a ramp (the joists are quite low and the car only has about 6 inch clearance).

From the opening post I invisaged a floorless garage and water on the 'inside' of the slab, now there is talk of joists?

I have a linear drain along the front of my garage so was going to tie the course of bricks (laid on three sides of the garage) in with this at the front corners, but equally if the front could be made to drain down (onto the drive or simular) that would cover that side.

Daniel

the garage is floorless (uses the slab) but the front wall has a threshold under the door to hold the garage together.

the garage is floorless (uses the slab) but the front wall has a threshold under the door to hold the garage together.
I see.
- How about removing the threshold and firing some screws into the slab to hold it together?

not until o2 finish fixing my phone. the slab can be seen on the attached photo, it has the old garage on it that was replaced, the new one is smaller and doesn't come so far towards the house

View media item 44420

Hi noseall,

that's not going to work unfortunately, i could only do that on the left side.

Both the front and back are level for several feet out from the ends of the garage, and the right hand side has a boundry wall 9 inches (roughly) from the edge of the garage. It's this side that is building up most of the standing water, as the concrete is level, but not smooth, so large puddles are left standing.

thank you for the suggestion though :)
As mentioned by noseall, there's many ways of doing it, waterproof it, flashing, cut out channel or linear drainage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back