Wooden post on top of double skin wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment, our porch has a piece of timber in one corner that supports the overhanging porch roof.

We're having a double skinned half height wall put up to enclose it a bit, and having the old timber swapped out with a 5" Oak Post.

Builder called tonight to explain that where the post ends, he'll have to put the Oak post to the floor, and then build a brick column around it, as he can't find a way to fit the timber to the brick top where any brace is hidden.

What's the normal way of doing this? I can't think of anything myself, and I'm not sure what type of coping is being used but this can't be as hard as its made out to be?

For those confused, how are the load bearing posts in the below photo fixed to the wall
porches-1000-09.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
there should be stainless dowells drilled into copping post then posts drilled and and fitted over dowell
normally would put a couple of square plate under post to keep it off the copping too

there should be stainless dowells drilled into copping post then posts drilled and and fitted over dowell
normally would put a couple of square plate under post to keep it off the copping too

That's pretty much what I thought, just seemed a bit 'manual'

Will have a look around to see if I can find a 5" square plate to raise it off the coping. I take it you don't sit it flush and seal it then?

if you post is 5" get 3" sqaure plates 5MM thick so not seen and no seal it keeps the post from drawing water from wet coppings

Sponsored Links
I am no expert but looking at the maker's web site it looks as if all posts are the same length and it basically sits on top of the wall. Presumably the ones not in contact with the house sit on plates or pins that are bonded to the brickwork? I.e. Either a hole is drilled vertically in the top of the wall and a pin inserted, or a plate with some kind of upstand is fitted then the coping stone added over the top but with a drilled hole for
The locating pin

Presumably the posts near the house are bolted to the brickwork with some kind of frame fixer countersunk then an oak peg fitted to conceal it

From the water marks on the posts in that image is does not look like they used any spaces.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back