Wooden window frames - what do you put on them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

New to this forum, needing a bit of advice from people with experience with my problem.

My wooden window frames are looking very weathered. So, I would like to re-do them. I was thinking along the lines of, chemically stripping the paint from the wooden frames. Is this adviceable? Scrapping off after the recommended time, sanding the frames. Then priming and repaint. Sand again and repaint a final time.

I'm a complete DIY novice, but since being in this house a year I haven't been able to get my teeth into anything because I had a disc removed from my back. A year on I'm now feeling fully fit and want to get the house done up a bit.

From what I have said regarding the work needing done to the frames, can anyone advice on chemical strippers, do I need to prime after sanding, and finally any particular painting products for the job you would personally recommend?

Cheers.

All the best.

CHR.

Sponsored Links
you could also burn the paint off with a heat gun,being careful of any glass in the vicinity and yes any timber that has had the paint removed must be primed,it seals the timber and makes sure that the undercoat sticks properly.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that guys.

im a painter & decorator and i advice that you dont use cheap paint......it just wont last remember........what you pay for is what you get :)

however there are new products on the market which are breathable? you think how the hell can that be breathable yet keep the water out? it can :D

i wouldnt advice a heat gun or glass burner unless your verry confident in using it because its dangerous + working at hight youd need a platform for your own safety......

i would recomend a good rough scrape with a scraper to remove the worst followed by a good sand with rough sand paper and as you go on dust it down....... change to finer sand paper......

chemical stripper like nitramorse... its expencive most of the products are crap unless your in the trade you get access to the proper stuff so i wouldnt waste yout time and money unless you can get hold of the real stuff bud :):cool:

and if your going back to bare wood it wont hurt putting knotting on 1st before priming.to stop any knots bleeding through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back