Wooden worktops - hardy or just fancy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. As part of a new kitchen, we are deciding on a wooden worktop or not. I favour granite as it is hard wearing but the wife fancies wood. I fear that a wooden worktop is not as hardy and is more suceptable to dents, scratches and getting stained, eg. by a rushed chilli or ketchup or beetroot etc.

Can anyone dispel some myths please ?

Thanks
BS :D

Sponsored Links
If you keep it well olied it's not a problem really, they oil works a seal and keeps dirt out of te wood. :)

oilman said:
Can anyone dispel some myths please ?

Yes, which myths had you in mind?

My myths about stains thank you. Anyway, the idea that someone is going to regularly oil a work top unless they are single and have nothing to do in their life is probably unrealistic. The novelty will wear off like the oil layers.

A kitchen is a place where messes happen then clearing up takes place shortly before you eat and entertain. I'll go with granite or a sealed maintenance-free surface I think.

Ta

Sponsored Links
I fitted a hardwood worktop in our housa 4 months ago and it has not stained despite having alsorts spilt on it. I fitted my mum a hardwood worktop about 9 years ago and that has no stains either. Hers is pu varnished, ours is oiled. I think it looks so much nicer that granite.

It all depends on what kind of oil is used to finish it of. There is a choice in (cheaper) oils that need regular 'maintenance' or (more-expensive) oil which are maintenance free and stain repellant.

Ok then, tung or raw linseed oil will give you minimum grief in my view, and both of them won't hurt you if you lick the brush whereas pu varnish .........

With either of those oils, they are easy to apply and you can restore any damage with a wipe of oil, how can you wipe over damage on granite, or the damage you caused to that bit of china you just dropped on it?

Many people have wooden tables in their kitchens that get used for allsorts I haven't senn anything in the way of stains, and they are often untreated. Beech is especially good at rejecting stains, to the extent that if you WANT to stain it it's bloody difficult.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back