woodworm one side - damp solid kitchen floor the other

span is 2200 mm

i was going to use the same joists as the rest of ground floor - look to be 100mm by 50mm ( from memory )

was planning to just extend or place overlap adjacent to existing joists..

the brick work looks in good condition - so maybe bolting the hangars straight onto wall - rather than bolting another 4 by 2 on the wall?

can I use a shim to get the level right? if the hangars are too low?

I am planning to put some air bricks in - I have a mortar rake. - this may involve lowering a concrete path on the outside. ( too high any way - up to DPC on the outside.)

Sponsored Links
Is 2000mm the single clear span? In my book, 100mm x 50mm is never a heavy enough section for any kind of joist go for the next available size up.

Stay with the plan, dont give yourself problems - bolt the plate to the wall - the plate should be approx. 6" x 2"
place the bolts in the joist bays between the joists.
Why not post pics of the outside at ground level?

yeh 2200 mm is the span - go I need to put a wall in the middle to stop sagging? this will be a heavily trafficed area - heavy cooker - cupboards etc above.

theres actually a bit of a wall there already - footing of an old pantry - I could follow that line - giving span of about 1000 mm - cutting it in half.

am I to bolt the 6x 2 plate to the wall with expanding bolts?

cheers Vinn

searching for photo now - if it doesnt exist -will have to take one... but basically the exterior ground is about the top of the bottom course of blue engineered bricks in previous photos

Sponsored Links
havent got a close up.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 11.20.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 11.20.50 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
2m is nothing as spans go but build a mid-way supporting wall if you want.

Expanding bolts.

just remeasured and the existing joists are 100 mm by 50 mm they are spaced unevenly 40 to 45 cm apart

are u suggesting the thicker joists to prevent sagging?

actually seems I have dug down at least 20 cm below the level of the existing joists ( if they were extended over the new void )

I suppose a supporting knee wall would stop the sagging? trying to work out the easiest way to do it?

slice another course off the wall in the pic , add damp proof then a bit of wood to raise joists to right height? across to the plate I bolted on the wall? wood just sits on plate is ok? maybe some bracket to stop it twisting.. guess once floorboard is on will be stable?

I am wondering if I should just use pine floorboards? try and replace any rotten ones and sandthem up / fill the cracks? no need laminate floor then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back