Woodworm or nail holes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - this is my first post - hope someone can help.

I bought an oak coat rack/shelf just before christmas and it has been sitting in the spare bedroom ever since because it is eventually going to another house which is being refurbished. I looked at the shelf when I received it (bought online) and thought the timber was clean.

When I moved it the other day there are around 16 holes in it - all about 4mm in diameter with black surround. Some are on the top of the shelf and some on the side plus a few on the back rail. The ones on the shelf are all in a straight line.

Have contacted the seller because I was concerned they may be some sort of woodworm exit holes however he says they are nail holes and were there all along (but I certainly didn't notice them before). There is certainly no evidence of sawdust or anything on the carpet where the shelf has been or on the shelf itself.

I've added a couple of photos of the holes to see if anyone can confirm what the seller says - my main concern is anything spreadsing from the shelf.

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
if you mix steel and oak the tannin in the oak causes blackness ;)

take somthing slightly smaller than the hole but longer prod several holes
if they are strait and simmilar depths then you have nail holes ;)

4mm holes are pretty big for a furniture beetle....these usually come out of the timber at an angle.
If the holes are in a straight line I guess its just a sign of second hand timber - but do keep an eye on it!
John :)

put a piece of paper under the timber and give it a shake rattle and roll,if any sawdust comes out(frass)then it woodworm of some kind??

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice everyone - will try out the various suggestions and see what happens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back