woodworm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,
i was wondering if anyody can help and give me some advice, i have just found woodworm holes in the floorboards of a bedroom, i have lifted every 4th board or so ready to spray treat with cuprinol 5 star wood treatment, is it better to spray useing a garden sprayer, or paint it on with a brush, and more importantly, will this cuprinol treatment cause any damage to the copper pipes and wiring cables that run under the floorboards, as some treatment may touch these as i do the underside of the floorboards and joist
thanks for any help in advance
Tony

Sponsored Links
The data sheet recommends coarse spray rather than brushing.
But does also state to keep away from plastic and rubber insulated electric cables(hope yours are PVC)
It also says not harmful to common metals but then states that bronze metals can suffer from verdigris. But copper can also suffer from verdigris, so not just your plumbing, the electrical cable could also be copper, (more likely than not).
So I would suggest covering your cables and pipes up, to be on the safe side and giving them a wipe down afterwards just in case.

The data sheet can be found here if you want to take a look for yourself
www.icipaints.co.uk/files/pdf/datasheets/CT682.pdf
I would also suggest wearing PPE, such as mask, gloves, goggles when using woodworm killer, some of it can burn and blister the skin.

Woodworm chemicals can be very injurious to long-term health, so if I were you, I wouldn't start spraying the stuff around my bed-room.

In fact I wouldn't spray it at all, preferring wood-worm ( if there are any) to a persistent nerve-poison.

There was a very informative thread by someone very well versed in the business (probably) on the Building or Floors forum in the last two years.

It will take some searching but would be very worthwhile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back