Worcester 24cdi a few questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just moved into a house where they have a Worcester 24cdi combi boiler installed and wanted to ask a few questions:

1. At present the hot water seems to be quite a bit lower pressure than the cold, never having had a combi boiler before I don't know if this is normal, is it normal?

2. I have read on here that to test it I should fill a 9 ltr bucket of water up in a minute, is that the correct test for this type of combi boiler?

3. I have no idea regarding servicing etc for a combi boiler, do they still need to be serviced annually, if so I was considering the BG service contract.

4. Are there any other companies that offer such service contracts that may be better than BG?

Sorry about the amount of questions, trying to get a feel for this type of boiler so I know a little bit about what I am talking about!?!

Sponsored Links
im not sure of the exact figure but i would have thought the 24cdi would be putting out closer to 12 litres a minute. just get a plastic kitchen litre jug and fill it up for a minute counting how many times you empty it.

all boilers benefit from an anuual service, even if its only to highlight potential problems on the horizon that might leave you with nothing until someone gets out to it.

the BG contract is handy for a 24cdi. when things go wrong, and they will go wrong often, they are usually expensive problems. i dont think there are any other companies offering anything close to BG's contract scheme.

Sorry nickso, but I have never heard of any make of 24Kw combi that gives more than 9-10 litres/min. For 12 litres/min you would have to have a 28 or 30Kw. Apologies if I am incorrect :oops:

OP yes that is the test but you need to take the cold inlet temp and see if the water filling the bucket at 9 litres /min is at least 35C hotter

thinking about it a bit more you could be right dave. ive not got any 24cdi instructions to check with.

depends on the temp of the water you want though. perhaps 10 litres at a good temp is more achievable. the 24cdi isnt very adjustable for flowrate either.

Sponsored Links
The 24cdi puts out, 9 l/min @ 40` rise and 11.8 l/min @ 30` rise.

OP.....

1:- Quite normal, though check isolation valve under boiler is fully open.

2:- A rough guide, correct way is with a flow cup, bucket will surfice.

3:- Yes All gas burning appliances require yearly service as minimum, BG is a reasonable service contract.

4:- Yes I do ;) :LOL:

I have Worcester 28CDi Combi and it stopped working last year shortly after I moved into the house. I could'nt get any local Engineer's to attend (or even reply to my phone messages) so a neigbour arranged for a BG Engineer to come round after he had finished his shift with BG. He attended 4 times in total with all his BG kit. I bought a new circuit board (approx £200) and he replaced the pump (I assume paid for by BG) but after about a week of trying to fix the problem did not return when he went back to his van. I then called Worcester Bosch and one of their Engineer's came round. He replaced the fan and time clock and got the boiler working, all for £185 inc. the parts. He also said that somone had wired the fan incorrectly (the BG Engineer during one of his visits). I am sure that there are good and bad BG Engineer's but I will stick to Worcester Bosch Engineer's in future.

Thanks for all the advice and replies, will try the test and see if i have a problem. Another thing that occurred to me last night was that it takes between 10-30 seconds to get hot, is this normal for a combi? I assumed it would take some time as it is heating the water on demand.

aka123 said:
I have Worcester 28CDi Combi and it stopped working last year shortly after I moved into the house. I could'nt get any local Engineer's to attend (or even reply to my phone messages) so a neigbour arranged for a BG Engineer to come round after he had finished his shift with BG. He attended 4 times in total with all his BG kit. I bought a new circuit board (approx £200) and he replaced the pump (I assume paid for by BG) but after about a week of trying to fix the problem did not return when he went back to his van. I then called Worcester Bosch and one of their Engineer's came round. He replaced the fan and time clock and got the boiler working, all for £185 inc. the parts. He also said that somone had wired the fan incorrectly (the BG Engineer during one of his visits). I am sure that there are good and bad BG Engineer's but I will stick to Worcester Bosch Engineer's in future.

Do you have any contact details, previous owners didn't leave any details on the boiler. :(

10 - 30 seconds is normal in the summer months with heating off. Probably be a bit quicker in the winter with rads on.

aka123 said:
a neigbour arranged for a BG Engineer to come round after he had finished his shift with BG. He attended 4 times in total with all his BG kit. I bought a new circuit board (approx £200) and he replaced the pump (I assume paid for by BG) but after about a week of trying to fix the problem did not return when he went back to his van. I am sure that there are good and bad BG Engineer's but I will stick to Worcester Bosch Engineer's in future.

BG engineers are usually very good with Worcesters and Vaillants so you were probably rather unlucky.

However, as you should know they are not meant to do jobs on the side and particularly not using BG parts.

I am very surprised at the way he dealt with you but perhaps it will be a lesson not to do things illegally as you have no comeback if anything goes wrong although he would have been in serious trouble if you had reported him to BG and be aware he is not insured or CORGI registered when working on the side.

The BG service contract is quite good for that model but unlike some others here I have found these boilers to mostly be very reliable when fitted to a clean system and over a few years an honest local engineer would be likely to be cheaper.

The 24 kW will fill a 9 litre bucket in one minute with water which ( after warming up ) will be too hot to keep you hand in for more that a very few seconds.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back