Worcester 24i combi problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My girlfriends boiler was working fine then work up in the morning and no heating or hot water, the hot water started working in the end but the heating isn't. The boiler is an Worcester 24i combi its an old one with a grey bottom bit for the dials.

I can see the boiler firing up when the heating is turned on but the blue flame goes after a couple of seconds, if I leave it does the same a couple of minutes later the rads never heat up, the room theromstate and boiler one are set high. A couple of questions,

1. The pressure gauge is at 0 should the pressure dial rise when the heating is on or should it always be higher than 0 even when off ?

2. The boiler instructions mentions a reset buttom top of the boiler at the front left, I had a look and there is something there but it doesnt look like a button, it looks like of a bolt as it has a thread on and it doesnt seem to press down. Is this the reset button and if so is it may be missing a bit or should I just be able to press this down ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1. The pressure gauge is at 0 should the pressure dial rise when the heating is on or should it always be higher than 0 even when off ?
The pressure should always be about 1Bar, even when the heating's off and cooled down. Sounds like you need to repressurise the system.

The pressure should rise a little when warm, but if it goes up too much, it could be that your expansion vessel has lost its pressure and needs pumping up with air. Have you got the Manufacturer's Instructions?

2. The boiler instructions mentions a reset buttom top of the boiler at the front left, I had a look and there is something there but it doesnt look like a button, it looks like of a bolt as it has a thread on and it doesnt seem to press down. Is this the reset button and if so is it may be missing a bit or should I just be able to press this down ?
IF it's the sort I'm thinking of, there's nothing to see or press down unless the boiler's actually overheated.

BTW, has the boiler been serviced in the last year or so?

C.

The pressure should always be about 1Bar, even when the heating's off and cooled down. Sounds like you need to repressurise the system.

The pressure should rise a little when warm, but if it goes up too much, it could be that your expansion vessel has lost its pressure and needs pumping up with air. Have you got the Manufacturer's Instructions?

IF it's the sort I'm thinking of, there's nothing to see or press down unless the boiler's actually overheated.

BTW, has the boiler been serviced in the last year or so?

C.

Thanks for the reply, she says it hasnt be serviced in the last year so she will get it done. From what you say its most likely the system needs re-preasuring she needs a service :LOL: anyway so I will get her to get an engineer around to service it and sort the preasure out.

thanks again

Repressurising is quite easy and you can probably do it yourself. It may even get the boiler working for now. Have a look in the FAQ threads at the top of the Plumbing and Central Heating section.

But you're absolutely right, it sounds like the boiler is overdue a service. There may well be a leak somewhere allowing the pressure to go down.

C.

Sponsored Links
Did some idiot bleed the rads?

At this time of year nearly 20% of calls I get are from people who bleed rads and dont top up the system afterwards.

Generally rads do NOT need bleeding!

Tony

Did some idiot bleed the rads?

At this time of year nearly 20% of calls I get are from people who bleed rads and dont top up the system afterwards.

Generally rads do NOT need bleeding!

Tony

No didn't bleed the rads I didn't anyway and my gf certainly wouldn't know how to :D

Now you mentioned it though I bleed my rads at home at weekend, I have boiler that doesnt have a preasure gauge on, does that mean I have a boiler that doesn't need topping up ? One thing I noticed is that I tend to have to bleed my own rads yearly and its alway the ones upstairs that have air in never downstairs would that indicate a problem if its up stairs only ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back