Worcester 280 problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been in my house for nearly 2 years without any problems with the boiler until a few weeks ago.......

Me and the Mrs went out one morning, but before we left the heating was working fine but obviously we turned it off as we were going to be out for a few hours so set it back to "Water" on the switch.

When we came back later in the afternoon, when it was a bit cold; so we decided to turn the heating on. Switched it on, then sat down in the living room. After around 10 minutes the house was still feeling cold so I felt the radiator, but nothing?! But the boiler was running, well making what sounded a bubbling sound. I thought it was a bit wierd, so ran the tap and instantly hot water came out, not the usual few seconds to wait for it to warm up. After this, I went outside to look at the gas meter to see if any was being drawn through when on "Heating" but nothing.... Turn on the hot water, then gas was being used, yet it sounded like the pump was working.

I've had several people come out and give me quotes ranging from £120-£250 (price inc. parts and labour). The main verdict was the Divertor Valve was suck.
Now, is it cheap for the part? And easy to install myself? As I know water plumbing but not the gas side.
Or get one of the guys into sort it out?

Or, is it worth just changing it for another boiler as it's looking a bit old? If that's the case, how much would it cost in labour to do the swap? As I've got someone who has just changed his combi for a bigger one, and will give me his 2yr old one for free. Reason for changing was extended house, so bigger combi needed. That and my house is only a 2 bed.

Thanks for any replies in advance

Sponsored Links
Why on earth would you come on here asking for advice if you can do it yourself (DIY).

I've had several people come out and give me quotes ranging from £120-£250 (price inc. parts and labour). The main verdict was the Divertor Valve was suck.
Now, is it cheap for the part? And easy to install myself? As I know water plumbing but not the gas side.

Abuse Removed

Mod 8

Thanks for your mature response.... :rolleyes:

I was asking a relevent quesiton about the Divertor Valve, and whether it can be resolved by DIY or NOT as I'm not an expert! And whether it was worth replacing the old 280 with a newer combi, as other parts might go costing more £££

Is this not a forum? A place to discuss things??

Yes your correct in it was a mature reply.

Now you say your not an expert nor am I, I learn every day. For you information to which you seek. Change the MV and have the WB280 serviced, or DIY and save yourself £60 then post back on here asking how to get rid of an airlock, how to wire a MV and such like.

I Know money is tight for some people, though some people are just tight.

Forget your mates old combi, it may not be good for you and besides, only cowboys and those desperate for work will fit it.

PS, I am available back end of July ;)

;)

Sponsored Links
i would never touch any second hand gas appliance and refit it. problems problems

It may well be diverter valve?
Problem start when you turn off boiler isolator valves and drain down, you then change diverter valve, open isolator valves and guess what they blooody leak,

I have been told by WB engineer, that WB may not be caring out repairs to the 240,280 & 350 much longer.

As for replacing the boiler thats your choice.

have been told by WB engineer, that WB may not be caring out repairs to the 240,280 & 350 much longer.

May of been discontinued back in early 97 if i recall correctly, though its a very good boiler.

Dlusted, may I publicly appologise for my earlier rant, I am sorry :oops:

Parts about a ton if you want one send me a message on my profile, I'll give it you half that...sitting on the floor here in the office.
Wheather or not it sorts the fault is someting else entirely!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back