worcester 4.5 BF Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having problems with the hot water overheating.on aWorcester 4.5 balanced flue boiler. It is ok when on water only but the central heating pump is running even when it is switched to hotwater only. When should the mid-port valve be energised (a) to meet the demand for hotwater or (b) to meet the demand for heating. The system is open vented on the heating.

Any information you may be able to give me would be very much appreciated.

Jim Bryan

Sponsored Links
Jim, I am not familiar with your model and as no one else has replied I dont think others are either!

I am guessing thats its a heat only boiler and not a combi?

If you have a seperate mid position valve then I dont think that you can understand its operation. Its motor is powered in two of its three positions.

On the simplest situation if the hot water in a cylinder is overheating then the prime suspect at first will be the cylinder stat.

Can you describe the boiler function in more detail please?

Tony Glazier

It is a floor standing storage combi, the valve rests in hot water mode and is energised for heating, which is controlled by a plug in relay in the control box.

Sounds like a forerunner to the 400 then.

You seem to have answered your own question.

I would expect the pump to be running all the time the boiler is firing and the diverter to be powered when the hot water has been preheated to the set temperature and the heating selected.

I am not quite sure what the problem is. If its not switching to heating it could be because the hot water storage thermostat is not becoming satisfied probably because its faulty?

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
James Bryan said:
I am having problems with the hot water overheating.on aWorcester 4.5 balanced flue boiler. It is ok when on water only

Maybe you can tell us what the problem is, if it overheats on this model in normally shuts down the pilot light, is this the case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back