Worcester cdi - How long would this take you?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Easy-sounding job; change the water inlet iso valve on a 28cdi.

The DV was leaking too, so in I went. Couldn't believe how many bits of boiler were lined up by the time I'd got to the inlet valve. Gas valve, APS, prv, dv, filling loop bits in 3 parts, dhwhe, both plastic hydraulic blocks, every pipe you can see, 20 screws/bolts then two cross member plates.

Quite a lot of O rings to be replaced before it all went back in.

Would have been easier to take the boiler off the wall.

Feeling my way once past the DV, so I was there hours!

Sponsored Links
I recently had a similar situation with an old Worcester 280. All that was required was a new synchron motor in the ACL diverter valve, but the screw securing the plastic cover could not be accessed in situ, so I drained the boiler and attempted to remove diverter, but C clips were stuck, so had to remove pump and expansion vessel to get access to pull the clips free, etc, etc.

Same for modern I deal boilers. I had a couple of tricky jobs on an Isar(long standing leak from DV and aav, and pcb blown by the water). I didn't have the heart to attack it with probably multiple issues ensuing.

Suggested either I replace the boiler for one which in future could be repaired or get Ideal on their guaranteed fix. They would only do it if he then took out a maintenance contract which was exhaubitant.

He now has a Performa 30HE. After I got the ideal off the wall I couldn't figure out how to change hardly anything without some sort of hi tec grips which can go round corners and fit between one thou gaps.

They should send the designers on the road for a year!

Sponsored Links
One of the designers is now a CORGI Inspector!

Tony

The question on this one is how long I should bill for.

Situation complicated - Builder subbed Plumber to move 6yr old boiler, it leaked so P called me. I didn't realise then that Worcester's advice on sorting the leaky inlet valve spindle was to remove the boiler from the wall!

Found the DV leaking from its middle joint so showed client that it wasn't anyone's fault, had been leaking ages probably evaporating, etc. Client OK to pay for new DV.

Would normally do a DV on one of those in an hour or so, changing all 13 "O" rings etc. But going beyond, things are more awkward especially first time. Seized "bayonet" fitting pipes I called WB about.

Found more old "O ring" leaks, went off for another WB O ring pack, found the inlet pipe had been grossly overtightened too so that had to be replaced.

Altogether about 5 hours on site. Doing it all again I'd expect it to take 3 so I reckon I'll be billing for that; sound reasonable?

Yes that sounds fair, and as usual it's another loss leader for the business.

I'm beginning to realise that doing "little jobs" for builders is one big loss leader, and you still have ot put up with all their banter about plumbers being overpaid useless can never get one etc etc.

i change these cdi diverter valves nearly 1 a day.
first one took 3 hours with lots of water leaks and swearing.
now under 1 hour,i only change one o ring,it's the one on the pipe with the water temp sensor on it.be very careful with this pipe it's just soft copper with no retaining clip and pipe is very easily distorted when taking out old valve and fitting new valve.
get that connection in first.and the rest is easy

Thanks Kier, feel better if they take you an hour even now!

Finkin(duh) about the CW inlet valve, I think that if the cap bolts (on the bullet shaped locators) were unscrewed the bottom of the boiler could have been pulled off the mounting frame a couple of inches (flue released etc) then the bullets and plate behind removed, releasing the iso valve.

I know the pipe you mean - the O ring on the back end of mine had been leaking too. I'll pay more attention to it in future ta. The pipes/manifolds which come forwards off the backplate (er, flo, return, gas and that bendy dhw one) have to be rotated to release them from a bayonet fitting. All mine were tight and everything gets in the way so has to be removed.

This particular plumber, who also installs, only calls me when he can't fix the problem himself, so nothing's ever easy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back