Worcester Combi Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first boiler installation; I know very little about the subject matter and so far had several quotes and now I’m trying to chose between 3 plumbers. I’m going for the Worcester Bosch combi, either the 37 cdi or one of the new lxi range boilers if any are suitable.
Just got a few questions to help me decide?
1. What are the pros and cons about going for a local gas safe plumber vs Worcester Accredited installer? The difference in the quote is around £700 (WAI more expensive, but the warranty is 2 years longer at 7).
2. How long should it take to power flush 14 radiators, I’ve had estimates from a couple of hours to 8 hours?
3. Is there a newer version of the 37 cdi with the lxi range?
4. Is it worthwhile spending a £100+ plus on a magnetic filter?
5. The position of the boiler will not change and all the pipe work to be replaced is in the utility room and has access to all pipes within a few meters. How long should the job take on average?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm not an installer but I do do maintenance and repair so have some advice for you.
1. The WB boilers are pretty reliable and thier technical backup is one of the best available. The difference in having a WB accredited installer could be the difference between WB honouring thier warranty work as my neighbour discovered when her new boiler failed three days after install (unusual). WB initially blamed the installer but changed thier tune upon learning it was an accredited installer.

2. depending on what state the system is in I would START quoting for a powerflush at eight hours. However not all systems are in need of that depth of cleaning with a new boiler install. The guy quoting you should at least take a sample of the system water and check the circulation.

4. The £100 filter can save you from faults occurring from debris in your pplate heat exchanger, diverter valve and pump, each costing roughly £200 plus your own time. Definitely worth it.

5. Fitted mine in a day.

HTH :D

I'm an installer and I'm signed up to worcester.

How long your system takes to clean depends on how dirty it is, I can't see the point in spending hours with a machine on a clean system to satisfy a customer. My quotes are on the basis that the system will be clean whether that be an hour or ten

There is quite a difference between the quotes, is the wai Vat reg and the other not?

The reason the installer is a wai is simply that he sells a lot of there boilers and has been on a one day course minimum.

Other than the extra two year warranty, I would treat them equally on the basis of price, reputation, references

A good engineer would install to manufactures instructions and so you shouldn't have warranty issues.

I would fit a magnetic filter.

As to the duration of the job, it would depend on how clean your system was and how fast the engineer is, were all different and either faster or slower doesn't really mean better or worse

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back