Worcester Danesmoor 20/25 boiler whine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a six year old Worcester Danesmoor 20/25 boiler with gravity feed from a garden sited tank.
This boiler has been serviced regularly and has given no trouble although it had started to give a just audible whine.
Yesterday, the maintainance engineer paid an annual visit. Since his visit the boiler whine has increased. Unprompted, my wife suddenly started complaining about it.

The engineer had asked me if I had noticed the whine and said that it indicated that the motor bearings (sealed units) were wearing and if the whine started to rumble I should get the motor replaced.

Give the sudden substantial increase in the whine following his visit - I ask - is there any way the service could have affected the bearings?
Seems odd to me - a pneumatic engineer - that the motor should so suddenly
degrade??

Sponsored Links
probable cause is the build of dust on the fan impellor, during service some of it was disturbed resulting in the fan becoming imbalanced.
having said that the engineer did note the whine and im assuming prior to service.
these things dont last for ever and bearings wear out.

The service wasn't the cause, and the noise level can increase very quickly.

It could indicate there is oil leaking from the pump seal into the motor bearing. That would depend on the type of burner you have. You don't need to replace the motor, and you can replace the bearings if your mechanic's skills are adequate.

You need a 6202-2RS if the pump is mounted on the back of the motor, and a 6202-2Z for the shaft end. (Two of the 2Z if the pump is separate).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back