Worcester Heating systems - old E9.24BF boiler wont light up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am having trouble with the Worcester Combi Gas boiler E9.24BF (Model code). It should be more than 10-15 years old. I am a tenant in this house. Since quite some time the pressure gauge was almost close to zero even though when the central heating used to be ON, it would come up slightly. It was functioning until last night. Since this morning, the pilot light is OFF and there is no central heating or Hot water. As soon as I switched it ON, I heard some unusual noise, but after a few seconds everything subsided and I thought it was working. When the water was still freezing even after a few minutes, I have switched it OFF and switched it ON again. I have increased the pressure to 1.5. But still the pilot light will NOT turn ON. Can somebody please help me out. I have also tried the worcester website, but there is no information about this model. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
It is likely that you will need an engineer and if you are renting then get on to the Landlord/letting agent.
Sounds like either T/couple or Overheat stat has gone if you cannot light the pilot. It depends whether the E is for the electronic ign version, but you are not specific.
The lack of pressure could have contributed to this.
If the pressure was low why didnt you refill it earlier :!: :idea:

Thank you for your reply. Let me be more specific.

The E is for Electronic version.
When I switch ON, all the lights are ON including the usual noise it makes when it is working, but the Pilot is still OFF.
I was a little lazy to unscrew and open the board to increase the pressure, but sometimes it would go up automatically. So as long as it worked, I didnt really bother about it.
Since today is Sunday, I cannot get either the landlord or the letting agent to come and have a look at it today and the house is freezing cold.
There are two knobs. One is RED which I dont know what it is for (I was thinking that it could be to stop the system incase of an emergency as it was RED). There is another knob - GREY colour. It has a flame sign on it with an arrow to rotate it clockwise.
Do you think I should turn it? Do you think it would be the pilot igniter? Please let me know.
Thank you

It is pretty obvious to most people that the pressure gauge is there to show a pressure!

It should typically be set to 1.5 and topping it up is a user function.

Tenants should be shown how to do do it by the Agent or Landlord.

I expect that there is an overheat stat which has tripped out as a result of operating it empty.

Its possible that the o/h stat is on the top surface at the far left corner and has to be pushed gently down and should click when it resets.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much. The problem is that no one actually told me or showed me how it had to be topped. I had seen a plumber working on it and I tried it myself this morning and the pressure went up.
I just moved into this house a few months ago. I never had this problem in my earlier house. Therefore, I just didnt know what to do.
So you dont think it is the RED button near the bottom left hand corner. I cant find any switch or button at the top left hand corner. Please let me know.
Thank you

I have a vague recollection it is on the right low down somewhere around the pump area. The button is a dull red colour and has a cross profile to it, you push it in quite hard, the boiler will restart. I just can't remember exaclt where it is, you may have to look underneath the boiler for it but I think you have to look inside from the front.

There were several models with some differences.

The later ones had the o/h stat on the right just above the control panel. You accessed it by lifting the front cover upwards about 50mm.

Try looking for it there and push it down and you should get hat water and heating again !!!

Tony

Yep I think you are right Agile. If you lift the front panel up the reset is on the top of the control box.
Had to rack my brains then. Dont see many 9.24s any more.

Stan

Hi,
Thank you for all your replies. I finally got the plumber to come and check it. On this boiler, as I had indicated that there were two buttons. The way to light the pilot is:
1. To Push the GREY Knob inside and hold it for a few seconds (10-20 secs).
2. While still holding the GREY knob inside, Press the RED knob a few times until you the pilot lit through the pilot window.

The mistake that I was committing was that I was just pressing one of them at once and not both of them together.

As I said earlier it is a Worcester 9.24BF Electronic. Hope this helps anybody else with the same problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back