Worcester Heatslave 20/25 Oil, Spark but not Flame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
After spending days looking for an answer I sick and stuck.
Worceter heatslave 20/25 just a rundown make things a little easier:

Ran out of oil
Got new oil but pipes were frozen
Defrosted pipes
Spent 1 hr bleeding to get oil through
Fired up and locked out after 5 minutes
Press reset on pump, pumps oil but no ignition,
Replaced control unit as was sticking still no joy
Removed burner and can see spark forming and then the oil comes through as a fine mist the two meet but for some reason it doesn't ignite the oil??

Some one suggested it locked out after being frozen and now a thermocoupler is now broke, but would this stop the oil that is coming through from igniting or should the spark get larger as the oil starts?

Please help as I'm no a tad cold and had no heating for 1 week in a somewhat random winter.
Thank in advance guys! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
there is no thermocouple on an oil boiler so you can forget what ever was said there, but if you have oil and a spark you should have a flame, are you sure its oil and not water, i have seen this on quite a few occasions.

remove the flexi oil line from the burner and let run into a container if you can see 2 layers of liquid then you have water in your oil

Back to the beginning Andy...check your tank filter for crud / water - as you ran out of oil there could be some rubbish in the tank.
If thats ok, do as GSE suggests, and see that there is ample flow of oil after you disconnect the flexible pipe.
Although you see an oil spray, we don't know if there is enough oil being pumped out of the nozzle.
John :)

Well just about to give up and managed to gain accesss and fiddle with the ignition points so a bigger spark by moving them slightly up via the alan key screw then increased the oil pressure until it went bang and hey presto ignition, now just some fine tuning until a servie huy can come and set it up, thanks for the very impressive quick replies I had directed somof the oil into a container to make sure no water was present but missed this out. Still not sure what caused the problem thinking some difference in the oil that was supplied??

Once again cheers, God its hot in hear lol
:D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back