Worcester Heatslave 9.24 noisy and cutting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone here can give me any advice. I recently moved to a house with what appears to be a pretty old Worcester heatslave 9.24 (GC 47.311.02 if that's of any use). It was fairly noisy from the start, but worked OK. Now it makes a seriously bad noise when running the hot water for extended periods of time (e.g. when running a bath) and the other day it cut out (and the pilot light went out). I have been told that this was probably due to overheating.

I have successfully relit the pilot light and for now am avoiding using the hot water too much (the heating ran fine for 4 or 5 hours the other night - except for the noise which I suspect is due to the pump being on its last legs). Has anyone got any idea what the problem might be? Would replacing the pump have any effect, or are more serious remedies required? Any help you could offer would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Leigh

Sponsored Links
Boiler is most prob over 10 years old.DHW heat exchangers do get blocked up causing overheat stat on main heat exchanger to trip out pilot.fitting new pump and heat exchanger cost ££.Would advise too look at new boiler cos this one could cost you a lot of money long term.

werewolf said:
Boiler is most prob over 10 years old.DHW heat exchangers do get blocked up causing overheat stat on main heat exchanger to trip out pilot.fitting new pump and heat exchanger cost ££.Would advise too look at new boiler cos this one could cost you a lot of money long term.

nearer 20 years old - buy a new boiler!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I figured I would need a new boiler, but if possible, I need to try and make this one last a bit longer. Later in the year/early next, we should be getting work done on the house under a regeneration scheme, so should be able to have a new heating system at a reduced price. Seems a shame not to be able to take full advantage of this.

May get British Gas out to have a look under their fixed price scheme, and if the can't do anything (I suspect parts for this boiler are pretty hard to come by now), we'll have to reassess.

Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back