Worcester mech timer replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The on board mechanical timer on my trusty Worcester Danesmoor 20/25 oil boiler has finally given up! The system is 30yo, pretty basic by modern standards but continues to work very well - tank, gravity fed HW, pumped CH, no room stat, no tank stat, boiler stat set at minimum most of the time providing good heat to 13 radiators. My confusion is what to replace the timer with? Worcester have no replacement (nor do they have any tech info on the boiler!). I consider myself a competent diy-er but unsure of the best way to proceed. Obviously I'm looking to spend as little as possible as the whole system may need a revamp before too long. The nearest mech timer suitable seems to be a Horstmann 425 Tiara, but for a bit more flexibility wonder if, say, a Horstmann CentaurPlus C27 would be ok? My concern being if the system will be ok with a digital programmer? Any other suggestions for an alternative would be welcome. As to connections, the old timer has five connections (identified by Worcester Tech):

Pin 1 - Pink - CH
Pin 2 - Yellow - HW
Pin3 - Brown - L
Pin 4 - Blue - N
Pin 5 - Green - E

Any thoughts and advice would be most welcome :)

Sponsored Links
Correctly connected you could fit any kind of timer, mechanical or digital.

Tony

Thanks for that Tony, I was under the impression digital programmers are more complex and therefore unsuitable for my system, being very basic. Without implying a 'recommendation' can anyone suggest a unit bearing in mind my limited connection options?

Sponsored Links
Just a follow up - installed a Centaurplus C27 as my merchants didn't have a Tiara. Wiring dead simple but mounting proved a little more difficult as I preferred to put it on the boiler facia in place of the old one (didn't want to wall mount the new one). The aperture was larger than the C27 so had to fabricate a suitable mount. Really pleased with the result. Happy that the old system wont need upgrading (hopefully) for some time yet!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back