Works done, how can I tell if the notification was done ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A while back I had a new CU fitted, several new downlights in the bathroom, a set of external lights fixed, and a new 45A run up to the bathroom for the electric shower (on it's own new circuit, new wiring, etc).

The guys did a great job, everything works like a dream and I can now isolate off everything I need to when I need to, everything is now labelled correctly.

However, as the bathroom was not yet finished, they routed the new cable through to the hole in the wall (via the loft) where the shower was to go and left it taped up ready for the shower install.

From my understanding, this work would be notifiable(?), how can I tell if this has been done by the electrician, and can I proceed to now untape the end of the cable and wire it into the shower terminals - it is literally just like wiring a plug from what I can see.

CU - very similar to this
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/28504...ylex-12-Way-Split-Load-Consumer-Unit-10-MCBs#

Shower
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/63334...ring-Expressions-Electric-Shower-Chrome-9-5kW

Shower manual - page 3
http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/pdfs/05/p3248405.pdf

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Notifiable work is notified in different ways depending on who does the work.

If it is to be done by a person who is not registered with one of the approved self-certification schemes, then the notification needs to be done in advance of the work (and a fee paid to the council).

If it is to be done by a person who is registered with one of the approved self-certification schemes, then the notification needs to be done within a specific period after the work is done, and I believe that this is actually done by giving the LABC a copy of the appropriate completion certificate.

Normally, if the work is done by a professional electrician, it will be the second case.

Either way, to answer the question, either check with the person who did the work, or if that is not possible, ask your LABC.

The person that done the work should provide you with the signed Electrical Installation certificate (if he is registered), and you would get from the council a confirmation that the work is approved by the LABC.
The LABC will not get a copy of the certificates, they will accept the notification of the registered electrician. If you did not have any of this I would contact the installer because I think that something is not right or the papers were lost on the way to you.

If the electrician was not registered you would know if he followed the regulations because you would be visited by the council before the work was started.

Just remember that it is sometimes misleading; working perfectly does not necessarily mean safely.

Thanks, he did mention something about coming back when we were ready for him (now I remember!), so I will give him a call and arrange a date.

Pain in the backside, as it is ready to go, but obviously I don't have a way of confirming he has done all the required tests and that it's safe and will need the documentation anyway when I come to sell the house.
I will leave it alone until he comes back.

Is there anything else I need to confirm with him other than 'Has he done the notification?' and 'can I have a cert ?'

Sponsored Links
He should have given you a certificate (Electrical Installation Certificate) once the work is completed - he might be waiting to finish the shower off first.
You should also receive a notice from the council if he is not registered or a notice from his scheme provider if he is registered - this might take up to 28 days.

I believe that certificate is known as a 'Building Regulations Compliance Certificate'

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I'll ensure I get the right docs.

I also promise not to post pics of me enjoying my new shower.

The person that done the work should provide you with the signed Electrical Installation certificate (if he is registered), .

Registered or not, an electrician should give you an installation certificate that the works complies with whatever standard he has installed it to
In the UK this is usually BS7671.

If he is registered to self certify, he will notify that he has completed the orks and you should get a Certificate of Compliance from whoever he is registered with. It looks like this:

Certcompliance.jpg

The person that done the work should provide you with the signed Electrical Installation certificate (if he is registered), .

Registered or not, an electrician should give you an installation certificate that the works complies with whatever standard he has installed it to
In the UK this is usually BS7671.
I do not think that an electrician that is not registered can sign an EIC for notifiable work, the council is the one who suppose to test the installation and provide the certificate.

If he is registered to self certify, he will notify that he has completed the orks and you should get a Certificate of Compliance from whoever he is registered with. It looks like this:
This is a nice one...looks familiar ;)

Any competent person can install, test and sign BS 7671:2001 electrical installation certificates. the term competent is not defined but an example of such a person might be an electrical engineer holding the City and
Guilds 2381 and 2391 (16th edition) qualifications.
In actual fact BS7671 certificates can be obtained and filled in by anyone. If they charge for the work and certificate it they are responsible for any harmful outcome.

This is separate to the process of notification to Building Control that the work has been completed.

He should have given you a certificate (Electrical Installation Certificate) once the work is completed - he might be waiting to finish the shower off first.
You should also receive a notice from the council if he is not registered or a notice from his scheme provider if he is registered - this might take up to 28 days.

Thanks, he's been back in, tested everything - inc all previous work, connected up the shower and required certificate paperwork is on it's way to me (along with the last small invoice of course).

Thanks for all the info on here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back