WORKTOP JIGS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people,

I am fitting my kitchen. I have got the units up and the laminate foor down, so far so good.

Its now time for the worktop purchase and fitting. Most people want to charge about £250 to cut. So that got me thinking that maybe i should attemp it myself.

In all honesty, how easy is it to cut using the worktop jig and mitre?.
anyone with disaster stories ?
other people out there that tacked the job and did a pretty good job of it?
any detailled instructions?

cheers

cooa99

Sponsored Links
Hi Cooa99

What you want to do is quite straight forward. However you must make sure you read and understand the instructions supplied with the jig.

Secondly having the right tools helps. The router must be 1600 watt minimum with a 1/2" collet and fitted wth a 30mm guide bush and sharp 12.7mm cutter is a must. I use a 2100 watt router for this type of job.

But as the other posters have stated practice, practice and practice again and then practice some more and take your time and think about what you are doing.

I would recomend that you practice on either the old kitcken cabinets you may have taken out or the old worksurface or off cuts.

I am no pro when it comes to this (ie I dont make my living from kitchen fitting) but I have fitted a good dozen kitchens or so for others. It just requires patience, thought and practice.

I also like to join the work tops together using biscits joints as well as the connecting bolts - but that is my preference.

Instructions for the use of a jig can be downloaded from here

http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/pdfs/71/p4759971.pdf

This is a good place for value jigs and cutters

http://www.chippyshop.co.uk/

Give it a go.... It's not rocket science.

Thanks very much. that has definately given me a boost of confidence!

cooa99

Sponsored Links
coo - if you use the Search function above for things like worktop fitting, worktop jigs, etc. you'll get loads of previous posts (with loads of advice) on how to do this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back