Worktops either side of cooker?

Sponsored Links
because they can, obviously happened somewhere and they kneejerk to prevent it happening again.
What these kneejerk-obsessed people never seem to learn is that 'next time it happens' it will be something slightly different, hence not prevented by their previous kneejerk!

Kind Regards, John

What these kneejerk-obsessed people never seem to learn is that 'next time it happens' it will be something slightly different, hence not prevented by their previous kneejerk!

Kind Regards, John
The massive problem with such reactions is the list gets longer and longer until saturation occurs and of course there is a trail of rules all about one point which eventually forms a circle and one ends up with prohibition.

Sponsored Links
And on average, worldwide, 200 people are electrocuted by sticking metallic objects into toasters.

And on average, worldwide, 200 people are electrocuted by sticking metallic objects into toasters.
Well I can't think why RCD protection of all socket circuits wouldn't be a reasonable measure to reduce the risk of all manner of electrocution risks including that. So not all regulation is bad.

Well I can't think why RCD protection of all socket circuits wouldn't be a reasonable measure to reduce the risk of all manner of electrocution risks including that. So not all regulation is bad.
In a world of unlimited resources, there would be no argument against that - even if some of us are uncertain of what effect RCDs have on the number of electrocutions, one can but presume that the presence of an RCD would, at least occasionally, prevent an electrocution - and at least some believe that just 'one life saved' would justify any cost.

However, it's not a world of unlimited resources, so one has to think about cost-effectiveness and the possible benefits of using the money in other ways. As I've often said, I strongly suspect that if the vast amount which has been spent on buying and installing RCDs had, instead, been used for something else (e.g. improvements in road safety), the saving of lives and serious injuries might have been much greater.

Kind Regards, John

Do we have to spend all that money so that people CAN poke forks into toasters?

What do you think they do behind fridges causing that allowance to be removed as proposed?

I strongly suspect that if the vast amount which has been spent on buying and installing RCDs had, instead, been used for something else (e.g. improvements in road safety), the saving of lives and serious injuries might have been much greater.
True actually you're right there, in fact or perhaps investing in more infrastructure for charging electric cars to avoid the huge deaths from air pollution, but as the other threads show that one is much more politically controversial. Whereas rcd protection doesn't really end up on the front page of the daily mail in the same way.

What do you think they do behind fridges causing that allowance to be removed as proposed?
Goodness only knows, but I suspect that their thinking was that a 'dedicated socket' (for a freezer) could come to be used for something else - particularly if the house changed hands and the new owner put their freezer in a different place.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back