Worx - a cautionary tale.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have posted this within another thread but posted it here in case it is useful to anyone considering buying any Worx products.

A week ago, the chuck jammed open without warning. It;s over a year old, so the tool is now useless, but hooray, there is a 3 year warranty on it...fantastic. So I thought......

Since last Tuesday ( a week now) I have been trying to get my Worx drll sorted under the 3 year warrranty. I have spoken to and emailed three differnt 'customer advisors' and yet not one of them has been any more useful than a chocolate teapot.
-First, I had to send in my life story too 'advisor A', even though the product is registered and acknowledged as such.
-Then, they wanted my receipt, so I sent a picture via email.
-I called and they hadn't got it and the person that was dealing with it would call me back later, as she was at lunch. I called later in the day, because they hadn't called me and was told she's gone home.
-I complained to 'advisor B; about that and was told that 'advisor C' would deal with it when he comes back off holiday the next day.
-Eventually 'advisor C' emailed me at 4.15pm THE NEXT DAY to say he couldnt find my email.
-I emailed it to him again and then called ( spoke to 'advisor A' as it happens) to check it was there. Guess what? He's gone home now too.
-I complained, again, but was told to send it by post. She then gave me an address which she got wrong and had to correct.

Here I am, a week later and absolutely no further forward. What's the point of a warranty if it doesn't get acted on? There is no complaints dept, turns out that Worx are owned by Positec, a Chinese company by all accounts. The 'customer care' team operate out of a shed on an industrial esate in deepest Berkshire.

Added to that, if the product is deemed to be misused or not a warranty claim, the owner has to pay to get it returned.

Worx offer a great warrranty on paper, but a **** warranty in reality. I might just get another chuck myself and they can p1ss off.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...latter-noisy-pawl.448195/page-2#ixzz4lscnBmw2

Sponsored Links
piper64, good evening.

Given that you have not yet "exhausted" the Makers complaints procedures, it is a bit early to have a chat with Trading Standards? or is it? they may know some history that you are not a party to?

Now I venture into an area I am not clear on, how about you take to "Social Media" Twitter, Facebook, Et-All go on to the companies site and have a good old rant, and then rant some more, and then some?

I have heard that Companies do not like adverse Social Media comments, unless your name is "The Donald?"

Ken.

I have posted this within another thread but posted it here in case it is useful to anyone considering buying any Worx products.

A week ago, the chuck jammed open without warning. It;s over a year old, so the tool is now useless, but hooray, there is a 3 year warranty on it...fantastic. So I thought......

Since last Tuesday ( a week now) I have been trying to get my Worx drll sorted under the 3 year warrranty. I have spoken to and emailed three differnt 'customer advisors' and yet not one of them has been any more useful than a chocolate teapot.
-First, I had to send in my life story too 'advisor A', even though the product is registered and acknowledged as such.
-Then, they wanted my receipt, so I sent a picture via email.
-I called and they hadn't got it and the person that was dealing with it would call me back later, as she was at lunch. I called later in the day, because they hadn't called me and was told she's gone home.
-I complained to 'advisor B; about that and was told that 'advisor C' would deal with it when he comes back off holiday the next day.
-Eventually 'advisor C' emailed me at 4.15pm THE NEXT DAY to say he couldnt find my email.
-I emailed it to him again and then called ( spoke to 'advisor A' as it happens) to check it was there. Guess what? He's gone home now too.
-I complained, again, but was told to send it by post. She then gave me an address which she got wrong and had to correct.

Here I am, a week later and absolutely no further forward. What's the point of a warranty if it doesn't get acted on? There is no complaints dept, turns out that Worx are owned by Positec, a Chinese company by all accounts. The 'customer care' team operate out of a shed on an industrial esate in deepest Berkshire.

Added to that, if the product is deemed to be misused or not a warranty claim, the owner has to pay to get it returned.

Worx offer a great warrranty on paper, but a **** warranty in reality. I might just get another chuck myself and they can p1ss off.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...latter-noisy-pawl.448195/page-2#ixzz4lscnBmw2

Buy another, change the faulty one with the new one and return it for a refund.

Big problem with buying cheap tools is you're going to have issues because they're simply that. Cheap.

Hi Ken, my social media skills are zero...I leave that for the kids to play with.
Sammy, like that idea, but it would appear that the Worx drill that I have has been superceded with a similar model but small changes to design. Probably as a hurdle to stop unwary customers doing just as you suggest. Doesn't mean the chuck from it's sibling couldn't 'fall off' onto my old drill though?

It wasn't that cheap though, £90.

Sponsored Links
You have to take it back if purchased in a shop or send it back if mail order purchased to where it was purchased from with your receipt and the warranty info,its then up to the manager on the next step forward.

Proof of purchase and the warranty info at date of purchase are very important,the warranty on the same product today could be different.

The above system always works,think its something to do with sales of goods act or something like that.

good luck,

It was bought in Argos 18 months ago, so outside their remit to cover the warranty. Worx offer a 3 year warranty, but as you can see, it is not worth the paper it's written on.

It was bought in Argos 18 months ago, so outside their remit to cover the warranty

You contract is always with the seller.

There is no set time period nowadays - you can have up to six years to make a claim for faulty goods.

The product must last a "reasonable" time. 'Reasonable' depends on several criteria, but you would argue that the drill would be expected to last more than 18 months.

Brand is a factor, so check what their literature says regarding perception of their range - that helps your argument. But price is a factor, so if you paid £2.99 for it, then 18 months may well be considered reasonable for a bargain drill.

Hi woody, you may be right but I was told the contract with the seller is 12 months and any warranty offered by the manufacturer is over and above that, but needs to be dealt with at manufactuer level.
In addition, EU rules suggest that it's 24 months with the seller. I have read before about the 6 years law, not sure how it translates into reality because even trying to invoke EU rules is met with a barrier.

At the moment it's a moot point because after taking the chuck off it has decided to work fine again. It must have been dirty and the sharp tap to release it from the drill sorted it out.

In addition, EU rules suggest that it's 24 months with the seller. I have read before about the 6 years law, not sure how it translates into reality because even trying to invoke EU rules is met with a barrier.

Its our very own Consumer Rights Act 2015 that gives you your rights related to faulty goods. It replaced the Sale of Goods Act, and gives clearer guidance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back