Wrong Floorbaords?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

This is only a quick one!

Was planning to lay ten 18mm WBP flooring on new extension first floor joists this weekend. I specified and ordered the 2.4 x 1.2 sheets on monday, and just got in from work to see sheets have been delivered.

However, delivery note says: "B/BB Ply WBP Core Ext Type 1 Nom 18mm - **Not for structural use**".

Before I kick off over the phone tomorrow, can I just check if these are wrong for a floor?

Many thanks, Paul.

Sponsored Links
Spuggy said:
I specified and ordered the boards on monday, and just got in from work to see joists have been delivered.
well, we usually call them sheets and specify "1200mm x 2400mm wbp plywood sheets".

Spuggy said:
However, delivery note says: "B/BB Ply WBP Core Ext Type 1 Nom 18mm - **Not for structural use**".
:confused:

Spuggy said:
Before I kick off over the phone tomorrow, can I just check if these are wrong for a floor?
what exactly have you got! if you asked for 1200mm x 1200mm plywood sheets and they have sent you joists then yes, i would complain. :eek:

Hi Noseall,

Corrected my original post. Hopefully clearer now (that's what happens when I type tired, cross and not had me tea!)

Cheers, Paul.

Sponsored Links
b/bb = crud between outside layers!!!!
1) Chinese UTY 1 commercial plywood is actually manufactured as a specific
quality and is not a “Falldown grade” from either B/BB or BB/CC. There is little to differentiate between the face and back veneer qualities of the different grades and the main difference between UTY 1 and other grades lies in the core construction and face / back veneer thickness with UTY 1 having a number of core veneers (dependant upon the thickness of plywood) constructed using small pieces of jointed waste veneers that would otherwise be scrapped. The face and back veneer thickness of UTY 1 quality can be as thin as 0.25mm (before sanding) whereas in B/BB and BB/CC quality the face / back veneer thickness is usually minimum 0.4mm. The difference in price between BB/CC and UTY 1 is usually about 10% thus reflecting the cost saving in utilizing waste veneers.

haven got a clue realy because i havent come accross them before :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
just googled out of interest
i would contact your wood yard and ask them
i always look upon any ply as structural and indeed that what i get supplied with several times a year as wbp exterior ply 12mm at 14 to 16" centres and 18mm at 20 to 24" centres for sheds

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back