wrong price on the sticker..

funny enogh this has come up tonight on another forum i use,many thanx for clearing this up.
i too thought(and posted)that once advertised then it was a done deal :oops:

everyday is a leaning day.

..Just make sure that you do it on something sturdy.

Sponsored Links
Isn't that called bait and switch. I think its illegal, if not it should be.

~ Sam

Isn't that called bait and switch. I think its illegal, if not it should be.

~ Sam

It's illegal if they do it on purpose, false advertising....but there are two parts to a sales contract, an offer and an acceptance of the offer.

The offer is NOT the price on the product, it is you agreeing to pay the price on the product,...the second part, the accepting of the offer, is when the seller takes your money.

they agreed to sell it at the sticker price because we've had a couple of cars off them already and will likely bring the nephew up there to shop in a few months..

now..

they took a deposit, ballance to be paid on collection of the car on tuesday ( leaving it there for a week to get it MOT'd and taxed.. no point getting it a week early just to loose a month's tax.. )
does this constitute a contract of sale? I've paid the requested deposit for the item so they can't then put the price up now can they?

Sponsored Links
Don't quote me on it but I believe the seller can withdraw the car from sale and offer you a full refund of your deposit without any room for you to pursue legal proceedings.

Don't quote me on it but I believe the seller can withdraw the car from sale and offer you a full refund of your deposit without any room for you to pursue legal proceedings.

Not without a valid reason such as the car being unroadworthy and beyond economical repair or found to be a ringer etc. Can't do it just because someone offers a better price.

No Col, they can't up the price if you have paid a deposit, the contract has been made.

Technically as soon as the seller agrees the price the contract is made. The only way they can back out without being liable is if they really really can't honour the contract...not because they choose not to for financial reasons.

...but for practical purposes we consider the money changing hands as time of contract as this can be proven whereas agreement is a lot harder to prove.

Back