WYLEX DISTRIBUION BOX CONVERSION

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I currently have a wylex wired fuse distribution box and am looking into converting it with a newer type distribution board.

Is this quite a straight forward process as I have been told that my lighting cables may not have any earth wires and I may need a full re-wire...!!!.....Even tho im not an electrician I found this hard to beleive as my house is only twenty years old and even tho I have wylex wired fuse box (cream) its not the real old type (brown/grey box)....!!

Any information or general guidance would b appreciated and apologies for my non technical terminology.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
No earth on lighting circuits would put it well over 40 years ago, so this isn't likely with yours.

Not sure what you mean by converting it - the only option is to remove it completely and fit a new one.

The entire installation will need to be inspected and tested as part of the process. Some parts may need minor repairs. It is likely the main protective bonding (earth wires to the gas and water pipes) will need to be replaced.

Thanks for your responses.

Sorry I did mean completly replacing the box not converting it.........

I hope your right in regards to having earth wires but if this is not the case is it a big job to replace the box if I have no earth on lighting circuits and would I require a rewire of my lighting circuits...?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
A house wired in the 1980's will have cpcs on the lighting circuit, (we have to back to the 1960s to find a time when they were installed without!)

Other things could throw up issues... hopefully bonding should (I think) be upto spec, borrowed neutrals could do with being checked for, they were never allowed, but crop up quite a bit!

Insulation resistance could be another issue... faults can exist indefinatly on a board with fuses only, that'll trip an RCD the first time its flicked on

A periodic is normally recommended prior to a board change and should hopefully show up any issues

It'll be a 15th edition installation, so the PEBs will only be 6.0mm² if they were actually installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back