Wylex MCB ratings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an old Wylex fusebox with plug-in fuses, I've managed to buy & replace the 5 Amp & 15 Amp fuses with MCBs bought from a local lighting retailer. I would also like to replace 2 x 30 Amp fuses with MCBs but have been unable to find anywhere selling them. Having searched on eBay I have seen many Wylex MCBs for sale rated at 32 Amps, my question is are these a safe replacement for my 30 Amp plug in fuses?

TIA, Jase

Sponsored Links
Yes. Providing 30A is the correct fuse rating for the circuit.

Fuse MCB
5A 6A
15A 16A
30A 32A

ETC......

Be sure that the fleabay ones are wired fuse replacement units and not modern CU MCB's.

Thanks for the advice, I have noticed a visual difference between listed MCBs on eBay so I'm pretty sure I know which one's I need. BTW the 2 replacement MCBs I've already bought & fitted were rated at 5 Amps & 15 Amps - exactly the same as the wired equivalents, can I stick with these or is it best to get a 6 Amp & 16 Amp replacement?

Thanks again, Jase

I believe the reason fuse wire and MCB ratings are slightly different is to bring us inline with europe. Also I did not realise you could get 5A and 15A MCB's. However they will be fine. Just out of intrest what is the 15A circuit?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a typical small install with a 4 way wylex....

5A Lights
15A Immersion
30A Sockets
30A Cooker

Wylex BS3871 (push in type) would have been rated at 5A, 15A, 30A

4230_1.JPG

Wylex BS60898 (switch type) rated at 6A, 16A, 32A

f33f_1.JPG

I assume the OP has BS3871 MCB's in 5A and 15A ratings and is now looking at a 32A BS60898?

I have the old 8 fuse standard wylex unit, it is a 50 amp unit I think.

Can I replace the 30amp ring main fuse with a 32amp circuit breaker like the OP wanted to know or will this cause problems with insurance and part P?

I want to make the house safer but not if I am breaking any law by doing so.

These trips do not really make your instalation any safer - They are more of a convenience.

You can substitute a 32 with a 30 with out problems.

If you want to make the installation safer, you should be looking at a new consumer unit complete with RCD protection as required. The Main Equipotential Bonding would also require upgrading in most cases.

The problem with a new consumer unit is I know a lot of the installation might need rewiring. We have never once had a problem with the electrics but I know that doesn't mean a thing.

I guess I can start by trying to tidy up the mess of extension leads everywhere.

Lectrician is correct the 15 Amp is the immersion heater with the 5A for lighting & the two 30 Amps for the ring main & cooker; there is also a second bank of fuses for the off-peak storage heaters.

I will upgrade the fusebox in the future, but as Lectrician pointed out I'm replacing the old fuses with MCBs as a convenience rather than as a perceived saftey benefit.

Jase

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back