Zanussi ZSF6161 dishwasher washmotor humming.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to fix a Zanussi ZSF6161 dishwasher and found the washmotor to be humming and not rotating it was also very hot. I checked that the impeller was moving freely and I also removed the capacitor and checked the resistance which was high and measured the farads to be 3micro f. Just wondering what other checks I could try, there is a tachogenerator on the back of the motor. Or would anyone know what resistance I should be expecting to get on the motor windings or even a little diagram. Thanks in advance I am doing this job for a friend and don't want to spend a lot money on a washer motor unless pretty sure that it is faulty. thanks

Sponsored Links
removed the motor yesterday and as in another post on this forum the motor will start if given a little help (flick of a screwdriver). I have recommended that the my friend buys a new dishwasher or buy a replacement motor which is a bit expensive.

Thanks for your help got a 4 micro farad and the motor is now starting by itself. Dish washer fixed for my friend for 16 euro.

Sponsored Links
Tested the 4 micro F capacitor today in the machine and it is not starting the motor all the time. Can I put in a 5 micro farad capacitor without causing any safety issues. Thanks, mick.

Putting a 5uf capacitor on it won't help. If you look at the printing on the old capacitor I think you may find that it is supposed to be 3uf - 450v. If so the most likely cause of your problem is a break in the start winding. This would allow the motor to start unloaded but direction of rotation is random instead of being permanently anticlockwise. If the motor is loaded in this condition it usually refuses to start. In short...as long as you have 240v at terminals 1 & 2 on the motor block when it should be running then your motor is history :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back