Zenith Worktop Split

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning folks!

Looking for a bit of advice regarding a split worktop.

Short back story, fitted by well known nationwide shed. Numerous issues and remedials, worktop replaced and refitted 4 times!

Joint is meant to be butted & biscuited. The joint was starting to look different over the last couple of weeks, expansion perhaps, was looking more 'visible' if that makes sense. This morning I came down and on the overhang it's quite obviously split.

Kitchen's been in a while, upstand at the back and tiled above so not an easy removal for repair.

Any ideas how this could be fixed?? I was thinking about bodging a small metal plate bridging the two pieces at the front, clamping and gluing though I'm sure this will just send the stress elsewhere.

Have been back to the company this morning but what with Covid and their previous slow response times I think we'll be waiting a while!!

All thoughts welcomed, cheers!

Keef

Attachments

• IMG_20200526_071403.jpg
    IMG_20200526_071403.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_20200526_071321.jpg
    IMG_20200526_071321.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 305
Sponsored Links
Don’t normally butt joint worktop and certainly not over a joint between cupboards which can move if not secured well.
Was that section over 4m in length? Or why the join?

Last edited:
It's a solid surface worktop so has to be butted and biscuited as can't be screwed into for joining bolts etc.

Yes, it's one long run the entire kitchen so had to be in two pieces. Get what you say about joint over cabinet but no other options as sink and oven cutouts further down.

Sponsored Links
Should have been done like this , was it?

When he whacked the block I was expecting a chunk to lift out of the surface.
:mrgreen:
With my luck, thats what would happen.

Looking at keefs, I dare say no epoxy glue used.
Combined with tight biscuits strategically placed , it certainly wouldn't just let go.

Last edited:
Does appear to be out of line at the front , the likes of B&Q pay poor so get poor quality fitters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back