A fascinating landline conundrum for phone experts to ponder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just revived my ununsed BT phone line with a landline and broadband from Plusnet and in the process I ported in my number that was previously on Sipgate.

It seems to work ok but the bizarre thing is I cannot ring in to my landline from my main mobile which is on Vodafone. I can ring in on a spare mobile I have on Tesco Mobile but when I use the main mobile it just cuts off and the phone never rings.

If I do a 1471 the number is there but the call never really completed. On my DECT cordless it shows as a missed call but neither that phone nor a normal corded phone rings.

I've asked Plusnet and they can't work it out. They reckon I need to ask Vodafone, which I may, but I can't work out how or why one particular phone could fail to make my landline ring?

Sponsored Links
Update on the above query.

I put the SIM from the Vodafone mobile into another mobile and rang the landline successfully.

Then I put the SIM back in the original phone and manged to ring the landline so whatever problem it was was something to do with the mobile (Samsung Galaxy S2) and it's now sorted by a reboot.

When you port a phone number from one service provider to another there needs to be two calls made to a 0800 number,the first provides dial tone only the second then ports the incoming calls to the new provider.this can sometimes take up to one hour to complete if its is not complete you will lose incoming calls. From what you have said the problem will lie with the mobile phone/provider of mobile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back