Alarm ringing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a Honeywell Accenta Gen 4 control with Reson8 sounder. Self installed and all been running well for the last 9 months.

This morning, I pressed the 'Set' button, the normal exit countdown started and when finish, the alarm rang, but not with the normal two tone sound, just a very high pitched continuous sound. I opened the front door and entered my code, but the sound continued for about another 20 seconds and gradually died, with a sort of decreasing 'throttling' sound.

I have used engineer mode to check, and everything seems fine, although the bell test brings back this high pitch noise (as I said above, not the normal two tone alarm.) The log reveals nothing unusual.

It has been suggested that the sounder is not getting mains power and it running off the internal ni-cad battery, and as this runs down, the sounder would give a 'throttling' sound.

But why the different tone? How do I check if the sounder is running on mains power?

Many thanks in advance,

Rex

Sponsored Links
An Up-Date.

I have been playing around with the Control Panel and it seems that the battery is OK (12V output;) and 240v is coming into the panel.

In Alarm Test, Engineer mode. Bell on/off triggers the sounder and turns off instantly when 'off' is selected; Strobe on/off also triggers the sounder (should it?) which does not turn off instantly, but dies gradually.

I have the defaults set that after the exit countdown, and the system is activated, the strobe flashes x times and it seems that during the strobe flashing sequence, the sounder is also operating. So I just set the strobe to not flash, and everything appeared to be hunky-dory; until I caused an alarm activation. Everything works, plenty of noise so I entered my code to close the panel down but still the alarm was working. After it had not died, as before, I looked at the keypad display which requested a Reset. Resetting stopped the sounder.

But this is not how it should be operating.

Any assistance or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Rex

Don't you like the replies you've received elsewhere??

To be fair, you've shown little sign of having any ability to resolve this problem - using a multimeter for example?

You say your battery is fine - even though you can't test it.

Valid advice was given, seems it was advice that doesn't suit.

me personally would do a full reset of system including re programming.

try that then look at the external siren/strobe unit, in some cases we have found that some external siren/strobe units have had this particular fault.

Oasis

Sponsored Links
oasistechnical,

Had not thought about doing that; seems like a reasonable idea.

alumni,

"Don't you like the replies you've received elsewhere??"
That advice suggests Mains Failure but no suggestions on how to find out, or tamer or bell issue.

"To be fair, you've shown little sign of having any ability to resolve this problem - using a multimeter for example? "
I openly admit that I am not an expert, but I did install the system myself and it has been working for the last nine months. As for a multi-meter, again, I'm no expert but I do know when I have continuity and/or voltage (if I select DC/AC correctly!) We all make mistakes; obviously you don't.

"You say your battery is fine - even though you can't test it."
The only test I know about is using a volt meter and the battery is giving 12v output.

"Valid advice was given, seems it was advice that doesn't suit."
It is my opinion that diagnosing an issue is a process of elimination. To date, it does not appear to be the PCB. I have not tackled the sounder yet as it is a Bank Holiday and the neighbours will not be happy with a siren ringing every so often.

As i said.

You appear to struggle with the multimeter, so fault finding becomes something of a guess.

The advice given really was for your best interest, not just a fob off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back