Old GPO junction box moved outside by window fitters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new double glazed door installed today. The phone cable came in through the old door frame and mounted on the inside of the frame was an old GPO juncion box which they said they could deal with. I left them to it and when I came home from work I've found that they've relocated the juction box on the wall outside the door:

(Darn - the pic seems to be rotated 90º but you get the idea)
It's in a porch but the porch has no external door so it's basically outside.
Is this a really bad idea? Not sure if these boxes are supposed to be external... Is it even legal? Opinons appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Yeah, that's the sort of stupid bodge window and door fitters do.

No, the junction box should not be outside, but now there's f**k all you can do about it without making a mess. It would be interesting to hear their response to the question of "Do you intend to remove the door to correct this, or will you be paying BT Openreach to sort it ?"

Bottom line is they shouldn't have touched it at all. To be completely correct you should have arranged to have had it moved before they fitted the new door.

You could call BT out to sort it and send the fitters the bill. But don't expect them to come back if there's anything wrong with the door!

Sponsored Links
Realistically speaking if it is not going to get wet as it is sheltered in the porch (although it is open) then it will probably be fine for the foreseable future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back