Re-setting alarm, new regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Under the new intruder alarm regs is the following statement true?

"Users cannot restore after a confirmed alarm"

Does this mean even a coded reset cannot be performed and that to reset the system after a confirmed alarm would always require an engineer?

Sponsored Links
Which regs are you referring to ?

Many companies adopt policies which are often interpreted as regs since their installers gradually get used to that particular way of doing things. Are you referring to the Insurer Regs, the ACPO regs (for want of a better term) or EU regs, the list goes on. Do you have a particular EN in mind ?

we personally do the following;

audible only, customer reset
monitored, bells plus (no URN) customer reset
monitored, single acticvation, remote reset via ARC
monitored, confirmed, engineer call out to reset

same as we have always done, (escept when we had single activatioin to ARC)
then it was engineer reset all the time!!

Oasis

Sponsored Links
Oasis has got it right, with plain and simple common sense,

Thanks for locating the PD.

I'm not a great fan of this sort of reg. Probably Part P has something going for it, but there again I hear a lot of 30 year qualified sparks complaining about it. At the end of the day it might be better if there was a mutual consent between installer and customer, but there again it depends on the type of installation itself. Insurance approved and so on.

Personally, if I have paid for and own the equipment, then I should have a say in how it's reset if there are no faults on the system. But I could be totally wrong on this, it's just my opinion. I can't see the need to pay installers to come out and reset a system when I am perfectly capable of doing it myself. Probably opening up a can of worms, so everyone is entitled to come back and knock me. I am not going to drag this simple point out into some sort of twenty page debate like they did in one post over a simple Yale alarm system,

Oasis has got it right, with plain and simple common sense,

Thanks for locating the PD.

I'm not a great fan of this sort of reg. Probably Part P has something going for it, but there again I hear a lot of 30 year qualified sparks complaining about it. At the end of the day it might be better if there was a mutual consent between installer and customer, but there again it depends on the type of installation itself. Insurance approved and so on.

Personally, if I have paid for and own the equipment, then I should have a say in how it's reset if there are no faults on the system. But I could be totally wrong on this, it's just my opinion. I can't see the need to pay installers to come out and reset a system when I am perfectly capable of doing it myself. Probably opening up a can of worms, so everyone is entitled to come back and knock me. I am not going to drag this simple point out into some sort of twenty page debate like they did in one post over a simple Yale alarm system,
DIY, do what you like, nearly.

If you have a fully professional system or one connected to an ARC there are rules & regulations that have to be adhered to.
These are not laid down by alarm companies.

If you want one of these you have to comply. Or no URN (Unique Reference Number) from the Police, two seperate URNs if you have PA buttons as well, you pay the Police for each as required, in the region of £92 ea if I remember correctly.

Resetting, the regs. say that systems have to be reset via the alarm company, phone if a 'non confirmed' signal, phone or visit, as necessary for a second signal, the confirmed signal.

That is a very short idea of some of the rules & regulations that HAVE to be followed with a professionally fitted alarm system.

PS I don't think there was any need for your last sentence.

As an after thought, why would you want to reset it if there are no faults on the system?

Hi Europlex,

Yes, I see. I can't remember what my last sentence was, I can't see it while I'm writing. Hope it didn't upset anyone.

The points you make appear extremely valid, I appreciate them and take them on board. You are obviously a very well versed engineer.

Regards.

Unfortunately, after dropping this topic into a conversation at the depot, the general consensus amongst the engineers is that I request further and better particulars since our systems are all professionally installed and our engineers pride themselves on that fact.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back