Sterling10 Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The panel on our alarm is 12 years old & has developed a fault with a particular number (1). As we don't have the master code & cannot contact the installer any ideas on how we can change our code or do we look for a new panel & installer?

Sponsored Links
This is a very simple panel to work on, as long as you have no objections to using a small screwdriver if necessary. When was the battery changed last ? if not in the last three years, you should replace it with new asap. Have you got a copy of the engineer and user manuals, if not, then this is probably your first 'port of call'. I fail to see why you would want to call out an engineer for something which appears rather simple to rectify.

(1) as a fault display it is what ever is connected to Zone number 1.

Front Door contact?

i think they have a problem with the number 1 key on the keypad, thats why they need to change the code.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

When you say you have a fault on 1. Are you saying that the key itself is not working when pressed or is there another fault on that particular key. Otherwise, if you are just getting a message that there is a fault on zone one, then the last reply should point you to the problem. i.e. zone 1 fault.

I am speculating that if you have a zone 1 fault then it is probably the entry exit door contact (if there is one ). This contact is prone to damp and corrosion no matter how much it appears to look O.K.

Assuming that we are on the right track. remove the contact and clean up the connections, When you refit, ensure that the cores (wires) are not jammed between the body and the surround you are fitting it to.

If the above is not the cause then post again, with a bit of info so that we can look into it further.

The fault is on the no 1 on the keypad. It doesn't always seem to register when pressed causing the alarm to activate. As this is now happening every time we have to leave the alarm off. If I had the master code I could re-set my personal code. thanks for replies

Hi,

Well, there's some good news and bad news. If you are careful, you may be able to get at the keypad membrane where there could be a bit of a build up of debris, for want of a better term, which is preventing the ( 1 ) from working every time. This may resemble just a smear and nothing more. You may also be able to obtain a membrane, try e.bay, but this panel is not exactly young. Nonetheless, it's worth a try. There is also a chance that a cheapy Sterling 10, working or not, might be available, so that you can swap the membrane. I am making bold statements here, since I'm not absolutely sure whether the keys work directly on pcb mounted switches, but a membrane is usual.

The bad news comes into play if you want to change the engineer code on the existing panel. since the change starts with a ( 1 ) which you can not use. There are also a number of other engineer programmed items which require that a (1) is pressed. If your existing ( 1 ) can work now and then, I can e.mail you a pdf copy of the engineering manual if that would be of any help to you.

The (1) is intermittent but had become so unreliable we stopped using the alarm to prevent disturbing the neighbours. That manual sounds worth a try if you could forward, please.

Hi,

If I can get hold of your e.mail address I'll send you a copy. Do you have the user manual, I shall send that as well if you want.

Thanks for your help. As I am new to this site, is it OK to send e-mail address or is there a confidential procedure?

Hi,

I'm as much in the dark as you are on that one, it might be better to ask the moderators for advice. Personally, I wouldn't want my e.mail address on open forum and I'm sure they've thought of that. Try clicking the ( ? ) help symbol, there may be something there.

Click on each other's names, at the top you'll find "Messages", you can PM from there, no problem.

Thanks Europlex, just waiting for the e.mail address and I'll upload. You are very helpful.

Sorry chaindaisy I cannot get anywhere with the advice given re e-mail address. Any other ideas?

Hi,

Thanks to the moderators and everyone else who helped.

The manuals are sent as attachments to a e.mail. Please save them in a folder or USB pen etc. If they are not what you are looking for, please let me know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back