Texecom Premier, Roller Shutter, Ricochet and Relay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies in advance if I get any of this wrong, but it is my first post and I was after some advice.

We are about to install a Texecom Premier Elite 88 control panel, various expanders etc to get to a 40 ish zone hard wired alarm.

We also have a powered roller shutter on the garage, which currently operates using a remote; so when you drive up you can open the gate and drive in.

We want to be able to open the roller shutter remotely, then drive into the garage, disable the alarm and then enter the house with the fewest complications.

I considered this might be possible by fitting an 8XP-W ricochet expander to make the alarm a hybrid. This is based on the assumption that you could treat the garage zones as an area, allowing you to disable the garage part of the alarm using a Smartkey remote. You would then be able to open the gate, drive in and treat the next door from the garage to the house as an entry/exit route.

I then thought it should be possible to get the alarm system to operate the roller shutter using a relay, which would do away with the need for two different wireless remotes. i.e. you could open the shutter and disable the garage portion of the alarm with the Smartkey on your way in and then close the shutter and set the garage alarm on the way out.

The last part of this is beyond my experience with alarms. Therefore I was hoping that someone would be able to point me in the right direction. Is the idea valid? Are my assumptions correct? Any gotchas?

Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
dont think the smart key has an extra output, you could do it with the old radio plus fob as ive got 2 systems which did what you wanted, so it may be a two fob job.

you could do it with the old radio plus fob.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will take a look into that.

I wasn't however suggesting that you use the Smartkey as a remote for the shutter and the alarm independently. What I was thinking was whether you could wire the shutter to a relay on the alarm system and then get the shutter to open and close as the alarm for the garage area was set and unset using the Smartkey.

Any thoughts?

thats not very secure as someone forcing the roller shutter up will be disarming your alarm

Sponsored Links
No they won't!

I'm not certian as I haven't had a play with the ricochet stuff, but I don't see why you couldn't do what you propose.

Having had a bit of a read up on it, I think you ought to be able to just install a wireless expander onto the system to receive the remote controller, and leave the rest of the garage alarm wiring as standard hard wiring.

Then setup the garage on it's own area, with the remote just disarming the garage, and the house on another area with a proper keypad.

You can then setup an output to switch on upon the area being unset to open the roller shutter. You might need to use a timer relay so that the output is on long enough to open the door and then switches off so you can then shut the door again while the garage is unarmed.

The premier 88 is a very versatile panel and with some clever programming can do all sorts of things.

thats not very secure as someone forcing the roller shutter up will be disarming your alarm

Sparky thanks for the advice but I am not sure that sounds right. Connecting the shutter control to an output on the alarm should not make the shutter an on/off mechanism for the alarm.

If the gate were forced then the alarm would still be armed surely?

I think you ought to be able to just install a wireless expander onto the system to receive the remote controller, and leave the rest of the garage alarm wiring as standard hard wiring.

Then setup the garage on it's own area, with the remote just disarming the garage, and the house on another area with a proper keypad.

You can then setup an output to switch on upon the area being unset to open the roller shutter. You might need to use a timer relay so that the output is on long enough to open the door and then switches off so you can then shut the door again while the garage is unarmed.

Thanks for that. That was exactly what I had intended to do.

The current shutter mechanism allows for one touch operation on the existing remote. i.e. press once - gate goes up, press again - gate stops, press again - gates goes down, press again - gate stops and so. Therefore I assume there is a timer relay of some form in the existing control mechanism.

My current concern is that you could get into a situation where the gate falls out of sync with the alarm if the manual shutter control is used, say when you are at home. So the alarm is off and the gate is closed or vice versa.

I need a solution whereby the signal from the alarm output always closes the gate when the alarm is armed, even if it is already closed and always opens the gate when the alarm is disarmed.

Any thoughts on that one? I'm sorry I may not have explained what I mean very well.

It will depend on the shutter, but normally there will be dedicated inputs for open only or close only inputs like you describe as well as the stepped control which it is currently operating on.

sorry misunderstood thought you wanted to use the roller shutter to arm and disarm the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back