Yale 6400 cannot get Siren to "Learn" on system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help

I have just installed a Yale 6400 Alarm - When I installed the Siren 2 weeks ago it did not learn first time. Then I noticed that Siren did not seem to beep to respond to commands, when I disabled tamper to remove and check, the alarm went off suggesting that it was not "learnt in" on the system. I have tried all manuals tried learning in as an additional item, I have reset the system twice, I removed batteries from the Siren, I have moved to a different room to try learning in case my Wireless router was impacting this. I have trawled all the threads I can find on this and tried everything I can think of. Siren discharges when power of and memory cleared, on power on it sounds and flashes, on learn activation, learn button pressed Siren beeps and flashes but when control panel tries to transmit to the Siren I do not get any confirmation in the form of flashing or beeps.

Control unit does not seem to have any trouble learning so it looks like the receiver on the Control Panel is ok, but unless anyone can suggest a fix, the only conclusion I can come to is that the transmitter on the Control unit is not working.

Any bright ideas welcomed!!

Sponsored Links
Test it off the wall.
ie learn it and then try all functions with the sounder near the panel.
Obviously you will have to defeat any back tampers.
This will then rove the unit without going up and down a ladder.

Test it off the wall.
ie learn it and then try all functions with the sounder near the panel.
Obviously you will have to defeat any back tampers.
This will then rove the unit without going up and down a ladder.

Thanks done this spent all day with the Siren next to the Control Unit going through manuals, forum threads etc trying to resolve the problem - no success to date.

Sponsored Links
1. Remove siren cover and ensure the power is switched off.
2. Switch swich number 1 on (the "clear" diagram in the manual shows this) and press "learn" to clear the memory

3. Switch swich number 1 back to the off position (and ensure all the four dip switches are in the off position)
When they are all off turn the power switch on then press the learn button once (the two outside leds should light)
4. Return to your control panel and press: PROG MENU > DEVICES > PROGRAMME SIREN > LEARN SIREN the siren then beeps
5. Return again to the siren to press the learn button again.

6. To test if the siren has learnt in and is working
press the top backspace key to exit from the programme menu and the panel should beep and display alarm off. Now press keys 1 and 3 together - this is the panic feature of the panel and will activate the control panels siren and the external siren if it has correctly programmed in. WEAR EAR PLUGS
7.To silence press green then your code.
8.Go back into programming mode and choose: devices > program siren > siren tamper off Before finishing the installation, mounting the siren and putting on the cover.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1517959#1517959#ixzz1Zfp6OxXo

1. Remove siren cover and ensure the power is switched off.
2. Switch swich number 1 on (the "clear" diagram in the manual shows this) and press "learn" to clear the memory

3. Switch swich number 1 back to the off position (and ensure all the four dip switches are in the off position)
When they are all off turn the power switch on then press the learn button once (the two outside leds should light)
4. Return to your control panel and press: PROG MENU > DEVICES > PROGRAMME SIREN > LEARN SIREN the siren then beeps
5. Return again to the siren to press the learn button again.

6. To test if the siren has learnt in and is working

I get up to stage 4 above but no matter what I try, and I have tried approx 10 times, the siren does not beep flash or in any way acknowledge that it has connected.

press the top backspace key to exit from the programme menu and the panel should beep and display alarm off. Now press keys 1 and 3 together - this is the panic feature of the panel and will activate the control panels siren and the external siren if it has correctly programmed in. WEAR EAR PLUGS
7.To silence press green then your code.
8.Go back into programming mode and choose: devices > program siren > siren tamper off Before finishing the installation, mounting the siren and putting on the cover.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1517959#1517959#ixzz1Zfp6OxXo[/QUOTE]

try the above routine again but at stage four do not press the learn button on the siren to light up the two outside leds first.
Then follow the learn siren routine on the lcd display.
I presume you have not moved dip switch number 4 (the top one) to the right and put the siren in 'master' mode.

try the above routine again but at stage four do not press the learn button on the siren to light up the two outside leds first.
Then follow the learn siren routine on the lcd display.
I presume you have not moved dip switch number 4 (the top one) to the right and put the siren in 'master' mode.

I thought all the dip switches need to be to the right (off) to learn In the device. Only switch 1 is moved to the left(on) to clear the memory

Ah now we have the problem.

All the dip switches need to be over on the left hand side except the bottom one which is as you say to clear the siren memory.
After pressing the learn button to clear the siren memory put dip swith 1 (the bottom one) to the left and then you can learn the siren into the system as described.
All the dip switches need to be to the left before you can learn in the siren.

Ah now we have the problem.

All the dip switches need to be over on the left hand side except the bottom one which is as you say to clear the siren memory.
After pressing the learn button to clear the siren memory put dip swith 1 (the bottom one) to the left and then you can learn the siren into the system as described.
All the dip switches need to be to the left before you can learn in the siren.

yaleguy3 tried as you said still no acknowledgement from the Siren. Are you sure about the , all to the left requirement for the dip switches, the previous thread sample that you sent me said all dip switches need to be off which is to the right on my siren.

yaleguy3 tried as you said still no acknowledgement from the Siren. Are you sure about the , all to the left requirement for the dip switches, the previous thread sample that you sent me said all dip switches need to be off which is to the right on my siren.

Didn't read the manual did you!

Quote > (copy/paste)

"Remove the siren cover, ensure the siren power is switched off and set the program switch to clear memory as shown. Press the siren learn button a few times to drain any residual power. Switch on the siren power and wait for the siren LEDs to flash in sequence and then set the program switch to normal ready for learning in."

There are also diagrams showing the positions!

Didn't read the manual did you!

Quote > (copy/paste)

"Remove the siren cover, ensure the siren power is switched off and set the program switch to clear memory as shown. Press the siren learn button a few times to drain any residual power. Switch on the siren power and wait for the siren LEDs to flash in sequence and then set the program switch to normal ready for learning in."

Sorry but I have read the manual and the manual I have clearly shows all dip switches to the right for programming, only dip 1 to be moved to "on" position, left, to clear memory as stated in the manual. I do as it states and in line with all topics I can find on forums but the siren will not learn in.
I am hoping that I am doing something wrong or I have some other setting incorrect as I do not want to send this back to Uk for replacement. The unit is less than 1 month old and when I first installed the siren "learnt" into the system on the 2nd attempt and performed under test. At some point this communication link was broken and I have been trying to fix this. Perhaps the Siren or control unit receiver / transmitter is knackered ? Any bright ideas on how to test this, other than what I am already doing?

There are also diagrams showing the positions!

There has long been confusion over this issue and what off means and particularly how the diagrams show the positioning of the switches.

For clarity I have installed hundreds of these alarms and all the dip switches when looking at the siren with the cover off need to be over to the left hand side .

The yale 6200 alarm has an improved manual showing the dip switch positions using a 3d isometric diagram . i dont know wether the 6400 manual has changed but its diagrams showing the position of the switches is totally ambiguous.

Trust me despite what the manual says put all the dip switches to the left and you will be fine.

You say the siren worked fine when you first installed the system.
When you did that first install I presume you did not alter any of the dip switches at that time as the first time easy install does not instruct you other than clearing the siren memory to move any of the dip switches.
The first time easy install is the easiest way to program a siren in as it leads you through the process.

Personally for peace of mind I would reset your system and do the first time easy install routine again.

You say your siren stopped responding after a month?

How was this evident? Did you deliberately set off the alarm and the siren didn't work?

You say the siren worked fine when you first installed the system.
When you did that first install I presume you did not alter any of the dip switches at that time as the first time easy install does not instruct you other than clearing the siren memory to move any of the dip switches.
The first time easy install is the easiest way to program a siren in as it leads you through the process.

Personally for peace of mind I would reset your system and do the first time easy install routine again.

You say your siren stopped responding after a month?

How was this evident? Did you deliberately set off the alarm and the siren didn't work?

Correct First time was under easy install prcedure. I have tried resetting the system and doing this from scratch twice but it does not "learn in". I will try again with all the dip switches to the left not right but this is contrary to the manual.

When I say one month, it is less than 1 month more like 2 weeks as I only purchased this alam in the UK on 10th September and installed here on around 20th September. I noticed it was not responding when I tried to get the Siren to signal alam set as this was not clearly audible from outside if you set with the keyfob. According to the manual you should hear an acknoledgement beep when you send any program instruction to the Siren - I did not hear anything. I then set the Siren tamper to off on the control unit and removed the Siren outside - the Siren went off so the Tamper off instruction had not been implemented. I then tried to learn the Siren back in but to no avail and when tested under Emegency (1 & 3 buttons) the Control unit alarm goes off but not the Siren.

I really am lost with what could be the problem, other than some kind of hardware failure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back