Hostess Trolley .. cuts off power aftert 15 minutes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just taken my mothert's old Echo Hostess Trolley from a spare garage and decided to try and use it.

Found a suitable cable, plugged it in and all seemed OK.

10 minutes later, it is heating up without any problems, but another 5 miutes later, a power failure .. main board tripped.

Surely not the trolley, so left it.

Tried again today and the same thing happened. Ok for a while, then power trips off.

There is obviously a fault somewhere. Any ideas would be helpful

Maybe it's just not worth fixing, but maybe it is, if it's something minor.

thanks for any advice provided

Sponsored Links
It would appear you have insulation breaking down on some component or other when it warms up. I would have thought the heating element more likely to be the problem. You need to get it tested by someone with the correct equipment.

Sponsored Links
Amazing coincidence.
My wife & I run a B & B and so we attract all sorts of relevant 'gifts' from friends and relatives and now we have 2 hostess trolleys, one from my late mum and another from a neighbour.
Last weekend, as we were having a private party of our own we pulled one (The Echo Hostess) out of a cupboard and yes, after 15 minutes the rcd tripped and the house was plunged into darkness.
'Oh bother,' I said (as you can imagine).... 'never mind, we'll get the other one out of the cupboard! (A Phillips version but exactly the same beyond the badge)' A few minutes later exactly the same thing happened. We did look idiots, though friends were very understanding. :oops: Obviously these things aren't compatible with rcds and, to be honest, I didn't PAT test them because they were only kept for our own use.
It's just over a year ago since we had to install rcds to comply with latest regs and we now have six, one for each consumer unit, as the 'properly qualified' electrical engineer couldn't explain why they kept tripping because everything he tested fell within his tolerances. This was the only way we could begin to isolate the problems and the whole job cost us over £2,500 because he was here so long.
Before our new rcd installation we hadn't had an electrical problem for 25 years.
In my opinion rcds are actually a danger in a situation like ours because when they (frequently) trip, strangers in a house might fall over something in the darkness (in their bedrooms because we have emergency lighting everywhere else) and hurt themselves. Who will pay damages then I wonder??
Anyway, I think these trolleys will end up down at the dump! :confused:

At Christmas we borrowed the mother in law's hostess trolley and it did exactly the same thing to our recently rewired house!

I blames the trolley, she blamed our electrics as it worked fine at her house with no RCDs!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back