DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Digital TV problems with Philips set-Help please!

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
pat5627

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote

Since our area went digital(Belmont) about 3 weeks ago I have a problem with my newest TV .The set is a Philips 26PFL 7532D . I receive about 105 chanels, but when you switch the set off you have to reinstall everything again as it doesnt appear to store them When running is shows signal strenth as good,swich off and it shows poor signal-immediately go through the re-install and it shows signal strenth as good and back to the 105 channels-Any ideas?
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Diyisfun

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quote

I would expect to see something like 'save channels'
 Alert Moderators
pat5627

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote

Diyisfun wrote:
I would expect to see something like 'save channels'

Yes the save comes up and actions before returning to the channel,but when you swich off you get the 'No signal' error message.
 Alert Moderators
big-all

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote

do you press ok /move the cursor/or whatever it takes to enter the changes
or indeed do you have to do anything
basically what i am saying is your short off one action to complete or going to far and canceling the retune you have just done perhaps
another thought do you unplug anything in the ariel circuit then plug in when you want to use the tv
 Alert Moderators
pat5627

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:24 am Reply with quote

big-all wrote:
do you press ok /move the cursor/or whatever it takes to enter the changes
or indeed do you have to do anything
basically what i am saying is your short off one action to complete or going to far and canceling the retune you have just done perhaps
another thought do you unplug anything in the ariel circuit then plug in when you want to use the tv

Everything is in order i.e it reloads the channels,you press store (which it does) and you can view the tv- once you switch off it comes back on showing no signal strength-go through the re-install and everything is fine ,it evens shows signal strength as excellent. So far I have replaced the coax cable and we even unplugged the set for a week!
 Alert Moderators
ChrisFrost

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:44 am Reply with quote

Have you tried getting some help from Philips? Their support web site has Live Chat. Go to www.p4c.philips.com and put in your model number 26PFL7532D and choose the /05 version for the UK model.
The following user says thank you to ChrisFrost for this useful post:
pat5627 (27 Sep 2011)
 Alert Moderators
big-all

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote

pat5627 wrote:

Everything is in order i.e it reloads the channels,you press store (which it does) and you can view the tv- once you switch off it comes back on showing no signal strength-go through the re-install and everything is fine ,it evens shows signal strength as excellent. So far I have replaced the coax cable and we even unplugged the set for a week!

what i meant was if you unplug rather than just turn off your freeveiw recorder box for example you have a time delay before it warms up and powers up to allow the signal through so if you do unplug try not unplugging and see what happens
 Alert Moderators
pat5627

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:52 pm Reply with quote

big-all wrote:
pat5627 wrote:

what i meant was if you unplug rather than just turn off your freeveiw recorder box for example you have a time delay before it warms up and powers up to allow the signal through so if you do unplug try not unplugging and see what happens

Normally we leave it on standby, but we have unplugged it and left it unplugged to see if that would clear the memory.
 Alert Moderators
Mickymoody

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:24 am Reply with quote

Leaving a Philips TV in standby is a BAD idea, as the power switch is a rather strange design, and fails.

I'd suggest that this TV is faulty, and the 'eeeprom' has failed. It used to be called an eprom, but now 'learns', and reprogrammable.

Also to anyone else reading - leaving the set in standby, bypasses the degaussing stage, so you end up with shadows on the screen? Not good.
 Alert Moderators
Sam Gangee

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote

I think you should add, for the benefit of the majority - who wouldn't recognise a gauss if it rose up and hit them on the nose - that your comment applies only to TVs that have a CRT* display. Modern "digital" TVs don't have or require a degaussing circuit.

In my experience, switching the power off once a fortnight is sufficient to keep the CRT screen free from unwanted "colour washes".

*Cathode Ray Tube

(EEPROM - electrically erasable programmable read only memory ?)
 Alert Moderators
pellow

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote

I am a recently retired TV engineer. I have a similar set to this and so has my daughter and we both have the same problem. It is a software fault and going by past experience, Philips will not be resolving it. When I was working my employer was a main Philips dealer and we could not get anywhere with this problem as it has been ongoing with several chassis, the latest being the LC7.2E. I am missing 3 multiplexes after retuning and switching the set to standby. I have scanned and saved without the aerial in to empty the memory. I have individually entered each frequency manually, found 106 services only to lose 3 whole multiplexes after switching off. The banner on screen shows the channel number and info but no picture. I think it is to do with the software not finding the Network Identification Tag, or Table (NIT). I have given up and now use my Humax PVR to watch the missing channels.

Last edited by pellow on Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total
 Alert Moderators
pellow

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote

Further to my last post, Philips now say that a system reset should cure most sets. When the set is on press and hold the "menu" button on the tv and hold for several seconds until the screen goes blank. Wait until the OSD comes on. Press "OK" to start a full scan, analogue and digital, and all should be well. (When it goes to digital you have to select language and country.) I've tried my own tv and so far it is remembering channels after being switched off. I am surprised that this fix is so simple because when I was working we couldn't get any sense out of Philips at all. Perhaps they have been inundated with calls and have been forced into action.
 Alert Moderators
alansj

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote

ok.firstly its a phillips and they normaly suffer from software issues, just like you are having.
secondly its only hd ready which tells me its an older set. poss 2005 ? if this is the case then it may have a 2k chip which means that it is not compatible with the modern switchover.
http://www.pace.com/global/support/digital-switchover-uk/
hope this helps.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Audio Visual All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: