loft aerial for 3 storey house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Need some advice.

I need to install an aerial in a loft to receive freeview. Will run a wf100 coax from antenna to a 4 way splitter. From here will go to lounge and 3 bedrooms all clipped directly outside the house. Postcode is LE5 and apparently 11 miles from Waltham transmitter and 4 miles from Leicester transmitter.

What do I need to look out for with regards to positioning in loft space? And what sort of disadvantages am I looking at with a loft aerial as opposed to a roof mounted aerial?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
As long as there's enough space in the loft then the same kind of aerial you use outside can be used there too. Use the Wolfbane signal strength predictor. Make sure you change the antenna height. The default is 10m which might not be right for you.

Loft mounting knocks about 3-6dB off the signal strength. That might not sound like much, but -3dB means the signal level is only 50% compared to mounting outside. A 6dB loss means it has halved again to just 25%.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back