sat dish connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have cabled a quad lnb to a room housing electrics, alarm,telephone.
I have 4 x cable terminated with f type connectors.
All rooms in house have had coax run to this room too.
What i wanted to know is, would one of these.
http://www.dastv.co.uk/shop/cascade...t-Terrestrial-Launch-Amplifier-System-PSU.php

Be a way of me connecting the room i want ( only 4 at a time) to the sat dish.
So if i wanted say two feeds to lounge i connect the lounge to this and if i wanted the kitchen i connect the kitchen to this?

Or are there other devises i can use as a connection box to link my rooms to the dish?

Sponsored Links
That's not going to work for you.

It's not entirely clear what you want to do, but mixing satellite and terrestrial signals via a domestic distribution can be a tricky business if you don't start with a good plan. So really, you need to be very clear what you want to do.

To make a good plan start with what you want to watch and the type of functionality you need in each room. A good tip is to keep the language simple, we can add all the technical names later.

If you have only a single coax run to each room then your options are going to be a little limited. |If you have more cables, or you can run in some extra then tell us now.

To be clearer.
i have two coax run to each room terminating at a faceplate(or will do).
the other ends all run to a cupboard terminating in a f type connector.
The sat dish (4 lnb) has four cables going to this room terminating in f type connector.
My idea is so that if i want a signal in kitchen i can plug kitchen in, if i want two in lounge i can plug two in. Obviously i won't want all rooms active at the same time.
So i,m after a "junction" box that will allow all 4 connections from sat dish to be plugged in, then i can plug in the room i want at any one time

Well in that case then you'll need a different LNB - a Quattro rather than a standard Sky Quad, a Multiswitch, and then some Quad outlet plates.

Sponsored Links
You haven't said anything about the number of people using the house at any one time, so it's sensible to provision for an aerial feed to go along with the Sky feeds. The multiswitch will handle an aerial feed and distribute it along with the satellite feeds, so why not? That way if the two Sky boxes are tied up already (or you lose signal due to bad weather) there's still Freeview as a fallback. The presumption is of course that you can receive Freeview where you live.

well the idea was one in each bedroom x 4 kitchen, lounge, study and play room.
I want the usage limited in a way so that i don't end up with tvs on all over the house.
I can only ever see the need for 3/4 at most at any one time though.
Just wanted all rooms cabled so that we have a choice later.

That kind of flexibility requires this sort of planning.

You could stick up a 8 output LNB and attach the cables direct to the various rooms. That means no Freeview and always having to have a Sky box in any room where you want to watch TV. It would work, but you'd end up with a lot of boxes or forever swapping boxes around just so a TV would work. That doesn't seem very practical to me, and I've never had a customer ask for something like that that didn't see how awkward it would become over time... but I guess there'll be someone for whom that solution works...maybe it's you?

so what would you suggest?
Maybe no freeview but you can get freesat instead of sky.

It all depends what you are and are not prepared to compromise on, and how much you are willing to spend to achieve it.

At one end of the scale is a basic "Freeview" DTV distribution system. That means you're open to buy the cheapest TVs possible since DTV tuners are fitted to all consumer TVs. The other end of the scale is a multi-switch, multiple Sky boxes with full subscriptions, TVs in every room with either a direct feed or RF2 control of any Sky box.

What most people say they want is just to watch TV... But what they mean is to watch TV - mostly via Sky but with Freeview too - have some recording features - and be able to playback recorded TV on any screen in the house either via a local HD connection or via RF2 for the less important TVs. So what I install is a couple of Sky boxes, one on a higher subscription and a second on a lower subscription or free-to-view, then some HD connections to the most important TVs and an RF2 distribution network to get Sky and Freeview around the rest of the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back