Splitting tv signal - whats the actual device called?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

looking to split our digital signal to 6 rooms, when I look on the likes of eBay for a splitter the search always comes back with the F-type splitters which look like they are for satellite (although they are coaxil splitters). What is the actual name given to a tv arial splitter? Strange question I know....

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Aerial distribution amplifier is indeed the right term to search with to find the correct products. The Maplin gear is one example of a possible solution, but as a supplier and installer myself there's two good reasons why I wouldn't use that particular type of amplifier:

1) the connections are on aerial plugs. These don't provide a positive 'grip' and can (and often do) work loose over time. That's okay if the box is behind the TV where it would be easy to spot why TV has gone off in one room or another, but who want's that rats nest behind their TV?

2) the power cord is directly connected to the box. Since few people are happy to have a jungle of coax cables behind the TV then the loft is often the first place these end up. That then begs the question, are you happy to leave a 240V mains powered device in your loft that will be on 24/7 for several years - out of sight and exposed to extremes of heat and cold?

This Labgear amp is a safer bet for DIY loft installs LINK I sell them to folk doing this sort of thing. The little box is the power supply which lives behind the lounge/main TV. 240V mains gets converted to to 12V DC and the power goes up the same aerial cable that carries the TV signal down from the loft - so no extra wiring! That means the box in the loft is powered by 12V DV rather than 240V AC.

The connections are on the screw-on type F plugs. These are easier to fit and provide a better and more robust connection between the cable and the box.

In summary, an aerial distribution amp like this does everything just as well as a 240V powered cousin, but it's safer.

Sponsored Links
Twas only a suggestion as there is always a maplin around.
I use F Type for all my work or crimp ons (CCTV)

Aerial distribution amplifier is indeed the right term
I'm not totally in agreement. This Labgear amp is listed variously as having either a 3dB or 4dB noise figure. That's a bit high for an "aerial" amp. Most decent masthead amps generate less than 3dB of noise.

So I would call this one an "RF distribution Amp", which is what it's being used as anyway. It's not connected directly to the aerial, although it's carrying aerial signals which have been passed through other equipment (and must, therefore, be of a level which is adequate).

[sigh] Guys, look... we get folk here who are asking for general advice to help a novice do something. We can all get very technical about what we do, but does that really help the average guy who just wants to sort out his telly signal? ...Answer: Probably not. So shouldn't we keep that in mind.

With the above in mind, a little forethought to deal with the inevitable questions such as 'where do I put it?', 'how do I connect it?' and how to do all this safely and with the best long term reliabilty is no bad thing in my book. Please say if you disagree.

As for the suggestion of RF amp, while technically correct it can actually lead to confusion. Does the average Joe know what the hell 'RF' is and do they really care? Lets keep the advice easy to understand and just focus on helping folk get a good result.

As I read it, the discussion about the problem had run its course.

My post was specifically in answer to the discussion title - the question: "Splitting tv signal - whats the actual device called?"

As such, I feel that my explanation was entirely relevant and proper.

(Also, I would add that there would be a lot less confusion amongst the general public if professionals stuck to the correct terminology instead of making it up or using vague terms such as "booster". There is currently a wave of crazy "political correctness" whereby some perceive it as impolite or even rude to correct people when they use the wrong word or phrase. I disagree with that view: in order to minimise ambiguity, and improve communication, it's essential to educate people and not to ignore their mistakes.

It can also save people time and/or money. An acquaintance recently wasted a lot of time and effort because some well-meaning individual advised him to buy a "quattro" LNB when what he needed was a "quad-output" LNB.)

I take your point about quatro vs quad. The two terms refer to two different devices. What we are talking about here though is the equivalent ov vacuum and Hoover (or Dyson if we are being current). Phrases or words in common parlance to describe the same thing.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. While I support the use of correct terminology in the confines of a technical discussion I feel it can be too obscure for the average non-technical end-user. Keeping it simple unless a more specific and precise description is required seems perfectly valid when dealing with such a general enquiry.

Happy Sunday everyone.

Wowzers I didnt realise such a simple question would cause such a discussion...

As there are a few techie's on this section, could you explain why the f connector I bought with the correct connector terminals didnt work please? I mean after all its only coaxil cable - unless its a frequency issue?

Thanks!

Most of the time it's simply bad wiring technique. I have been to homes to trouble-shoot their DIY installs where I have found the insulation braid wrapped around the centre conductor... it was done very neatly in one case and the guy was quite proud but couldn't understand why his system didn't work. lol

Here's a good "How to" link with pictures http://www.satcure.com/tech/fconn.htm

Well, "insulation braid" has no meaning. The copper braid isn't for insulation. It acts as a "shield" or "screen" for electrostatic interference.

In layman's terms, the copper braid (plus copper foil) keeps the signal in and keeps interference out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back