Citreon Dispatch Stalling unexpectedly ...help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Citroën Dispatch 2000 HELP!!
I have a 2000 Citroën Dispatch 1.9 disel non turbo van that has a problem!! For no reason and at very spaced intervals it will just cut out! I have changed fuel filter,air filter and removed the injectors and had them professionally tested ( they are fine) i am out of idears! it does smoke (white) on start up from cold and runs slightly rough on tick over but once warm all is well! You can be driving at say 50 on a straight road in 5 th gear it will just pause then stop!? once at a halt it will start fine it is a worry as i am going on holiday in it with the family soon!! Any help would be great! Thanks Jason

Sponsored Links
Just to iron any possible fault here, I'd replace the crankshaft position sensor (top of the gearbox bell housing) with a new one (less than £20 for a genuine Citroen item).
This engine is a rather basic unit, and the sensor I've mentioned is one of the few items that gives trouble. Immobiliser faults are thankfully rare on these, but if there's a diesel cut off solenoid on top of the injector pump I'd replace that too.
Give us a pic of the injector pump if you're not sure.
John :)

I can't see a fuel shut off solenoid there - it must be the internal type.
If it was mine, I'd still replace the crank sensor.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Check there's no crimps in the fuel supply line also.

I had a mate who bought a Holden Statesman (HQ) 350 who was at his wits end because it kept cutting out every few Kms and after waiting 5 mins it would start up and continue.

Vehicle Mechanics is a very macho thing Down Under and as he was a well pumped guy this issue really grated with him. This skinny runt (moi) sussed out what was happening and he then found the problem..

Which was.. Flexible pipe out of the top of the fuel tank (fuel pick up) had bent over and crimped itself !

Check there's no crimps in the fuel supply line also.

I had a mate who bought a Holden Statesman (HQ) 350 who was at his wits end because it kept cutting out every few Kms and after waiting 5 mins it would start up and continue.

Vehicle Mechanics is a very macho thing Down Under and as he was a well pumped guy this issue really grated with him. This skinny runt (moi) sussed out what was happening and he then found the problem..

Which was.. Flexible pipe out of the top of the fuel tank (fuel pick up) had bent over and crimped itself !

Had a similar thing happen with a Mini years ago. Just the same symptoms as your mate's car. It was about ten years old, and the petrol had caused the short piece of rubber pipe from the tank to the pump to swell internally until it was nearly blocked.

Has this one got the electric pump in the fuel tank? Not sure at that age, some of the other guys might know?

Hi don't know if it has a plumb in tank? Getting the injectors put back in tomorrow so will try it from there! It's very annoying!! :(

Sponsored Links
Back