Vauxhall Astra 1.6sxi 2005 Engine Management Light On

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have the above car and and the engine management light keeps coming on.

Jobs that have been done so far:

- EMR vale replacement (as failed MOT for emissions end of Dec 2012)
- New starter motor (intermittent)
- New coil pack (1 this year, 1 in 2010)

Every time the engine is reset, it stays off for a while.

Also seems to use a lot of oil - a couple of litres every couple of months - althought I can't find any oil leaking on the floor after it's been parked all day, but there seem to be a build up of dirty oil top right hand side of the engine cover.

Other niggly things include smelling fumes every now again as though the car in front of you is fumy; and when idling, the rev counter sometimes dips.

Any help or advice would be appreciated please.

Joy

Sponsored Links
Were there any fault codes, before resetting the light? Hopefully the fault code will point you in the right direction.

We'll not start talking about the engine burning oil, until we do all the easy stuff.

No there aren't any fault codes as the light in on statically permanently.

When the coil pack went both times, there were error codes which I counted from the flashes.

if the management light has illuminated even for a short time it will have logged a fault code. This needs to be read using suitable diagnostic equipment to give you a clue of where to look, any decent local garage should be able to read the codes for you for a small fee.

Sponsored Links
This is a twin cam I seem to recall
take off the plug cover and there is not normally oil in here but as a rule the rocker cover gasket goes, i have done every twin cam vx i have had and a few mates, missfires engine light on etc

Back