DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Vivaro Steering Shake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Car Repairs / Maintenance
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
GasNob

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:50 am Reply with quote

Hi all, i have a 53 plate Vauxhall Vivaro 1.9 D engine is running smooth as? fingers crossed.
The problem i am having is the steering wheel shakes from left to right icon_sad.gif and speeds up the faster i go, when i get to about 60 or over its not noticeable however when i am under this speed its quite vigorous and seems to be getting worse.
A friend said its the front brake discs that have warped but the guy at my local garage checked the brakes and said there is nothing wrong with them? strange for a garage to say this i know. icon_confused.gif I am sure its not the wheels that need balancing as the push pull is quite severe and is there all the time the van is driven not just at a certain speed.
Another friend said it could be the steering rack? can anyone shed some light on this and tell me how i can tell if the steering rack has failed. or tell me my best options.
Thanks in advance to all who answer. icon_biggrin.gif
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Burnerman

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:22 am Reply with quote

As you rightly suggest, steering wheel wobble is due to wheel balance on 95% of all occasions. However, do have the front wheel rims checked for dents due to potholes, and likewise the tyre condition.
If all fails here then you could have driveshaft issues, and they should be checked too.
If the discs were at fault, the wobble would become more severe when the brakes were applied.
The steering rack could have excessive wear, but grabbing the wheels at a quarter to three position and rocking them should show that up.
Presumably the vehicle hasn't recently been involved in an accident?
John icon_smile.gif
The following user says thank you to Burnerman for this useful post:
GasNob (3 Apr 2012)
 Alert Moderators
Peter.N.

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote

I agree with John, you could also have a faulty tyre with ply seperation causing a bulge somewhere. Jack the wheels up just clear of the road and rotate them while watching for run out.

Peter
The following user says thank you to Peter.N. for this useful post:
GasNob (3 Apr 2012)
 Alert Moderators
Mursal

from Ireland

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote

Throw the back wheels onto the front and see if the problem changes?
The following user says thank you to Mursal for this useful post:
GasNob (3 Apr 2012)
 Alert Moderators
GasNob

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote

Burnerman wrote:
As you rightly suggest, steering wheel wobble is due to wheel balance on 95% of all occasions. However, do have the front wheel rims checked for dents due to potholes, and likewise the tyre condition.
If all fails here then you could have driveshaft issues, and they should be checked too.
If the discs were at fault, the wobble would become more severe when the brakes were applied.
The steering rack could have excessive wear, but grabbing the wheels at a quarter to three position and rocking them should show that up.
Presumably the vehicle hasn't recently been involved in an accident?
John icon_smile.gif

As usual you guys are the real deal! i had the wheels looked at and sure enough the front tyre had blown! i will try to upload a piccy of the faulty tyre so you can all have a good laugh at it! funny but if it had blown im sure i would not be laughing now. icon_wink.gif

Thanks to you all for the tremendous work and invaluable knowledge.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Car Repairs / Maintenance All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: