Which new car for a Grand?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The last car has just met a sticky end with some floodwater and a teligraph pole, so im inline for a new motor.

Deliberately kept details to a minimum but interested in what others suggest.

Budget is sllightly flexable but nothing over £1200.
- Must be able to get a bike in the boot.
- Must be able to tow a ton occationally.
- Must do around 35mpg (40 for a diesal).
- Need to find something fairly rapidly.

What are our thoughts?

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Diesel Golf in the local paper? Call first thing in the morning (unannounced if possible) and hear it start up.
You should pick up a mark 4 for that sort of money

With MOD still on it, but probably will have high mileage (150K+), but they are good for more. If you think he/she was a test pilot, walk away

Audi estate might be worth a look, same 1.9 diesel engine as the Golf. Will that be to big for your road tax? Don't know what you had before

Good luck, its a bit like betting on a horse, only more exciting and risky

Sponsored Links
I would go with a 406 estate, in my opinion Peugeot/Citroen make the best diesel engines and a 2.0 Hdi will give you 60 mpg driven carefully, they are also very reliable, I have one that has done well over 200,000 miles and most of it is original. Avoid the 2.2s though the fuel consumption is not nearly as good.

If you want a bigger car the Citroen C5 uses the same engines and there are a lot of those about for under £1000 as there are 406s, but again avoid the 2.2.

Peter

Good luck, its a bit like betting on a horse, only more exciting and risky
I like that!

Went to see a Nreg (95 E36 se) BMW 3Series compact last night

Nice car, drives and looks well, interior is good, if very 80s, only thing letting it down was a few touch ups in the paint which stood out in the floodlight but apprently look find in daylight so rightly or wrongly i left him with £50 to see it again on saturday. May also have a small PS leak but im looking to that on a BM forum.

Otherwise I also missed a nice highmillage Mk4 golf

Considered a Passat but they are very big and apprently can be costly if the front end bushes develop wear.

Some very cheap Volvos ans Saabs too, but the 3s compact does appeal!

Daniel

Happy days ................

Your local breaker will have power steering stuff?

That wasn't part of the requirement though. Just that you can get a bike in the boot.
Indeed. Previous car a was 306, and I think its onyl about 3inchs shorter from the back of the front seats to the boot lip, at which point you only have to remove the front wheel which isnt too time consuming even on the downhill rig.

Happy days ................

Your local breaker will have power steering stuff?
Well this is it, its a bit older then the 306 (which was a last plate face lift model) but there appears to be enough around being broken should you need odd bits.

I would love to be able to buy a £250 mondeo from the local garage which was the origanal idea but I dont think I could bring myself to buy it.

Daniel

Early to mid 90's mercedes W124 estate. Easy to fix, good mileage and that's about the right money for a half decent one. 230TE is good but a E320 cdi or earlier 300TD would give the mileage.

Welcome TerenceQ

I agree the Germans can build cars, but the road tax on those proper big cars would be frightening, over here

Sponsored Links
Back